grapple hydraulic pressure problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

I have a 773 bobcat with a grapple bucket. The grapple is too fast. It just snaps open or close really fast as soon I push the control button. I would prefer it to be smooth to a point where I can control how much pressure I want on whatever I am clamping on. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and have you been able to do something to solve it?

farmshop

You can put a flow restrictor in the line to slow how much oil goes through. You can get adjustable ones that are basically a needle valve or fixed rate ones that are a fitting with a small hole in them. The fixed ones are only a few bucks and you can always drill the hole out to get the speed you want

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

You can put a flow restrictor in the line to slow how much oil goes through. You can get adjustable ones that are basically a needle valve or fixed rate ones that are a fitting with a small hole in them. The fixed ones are only a few bucks and you can always drill the hole out to get the speed you want
Thank you very much farmshop. I will try that.

bobbie-g

Thank you very much farmshop. I will try that.
I had the same issue with my snow blade: slammed right or left too fast. I put a needle valve in line with one of the hydraulic lines. I just adjust the needle valve to get the right speed. Got it from the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE on-line. Hardest part of that task is figuring out the fittings and mounting the valve. And the neighbor kids like to spin the valve either clear open or clear shut. I 'spose I could take the handle off the valve..... :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I had the same issue with my snow blade: slammed right or left too fast. I put a needle valve in line with one of the hydraulic lines. I just adjust the needle valve to get the right speed. Got it from the Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE on-line. Hardest part of that task is figuring out the fittings and mounting the valve. And the neighbor kids like to spin the valve either clear open or clear shut. I 'spose I could take the handle off the valve..... :) ---Bobbie-G
Thanks Bobbie-g. I was reading up on these valves from the surplus store and this is what they recommend for the valves : It is not recommended to place this valve in the main pressure line to the valve, or the return line to the pump. This is meant to go between a work port and an actuator. Restricting the return line can lead to excessive pressure in the low pressure passages in the valve, excessive pressure in the pump, cavitation of the pump, among other problems.

farmshop

Thanks Bobbie-g. I was reading up on these valves from the surplus store and this is what they recommend for the valves : It is not recommended to place this valve in the main pressure line to the valve, or the return line to the pump. This is meant to go between a work port and an actuator. Restricting the return line can lead to excessive pressure in the low pressure passages in the valve, excessive pressure in the pump, cavitation of the pump, among other problems.
Being you are just controlling a cylinder you will be fine you will probably want to restrict both sides so you don't over pressure one side

mike_belben

Being you are just controlling a cylinder you will be fine you will probably want to restrict both sides so you don't over pressure one side
You can control speed in each direction with just one valve in one work hose if its a needle valve. Some hydraulic flow controls restrict one way and bypass the other way. You need to see the symbol to make sure its going to have two way control and not just one.