glow plugs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jchipps

I have a lx 665 does this machine have glow plugs. it is very hard to start in cold weather

Tazza

Staff member
Have a look at the engine, they should be close to the injectors connected together with wires or a flat plate with a single wire going to the glow plug relay. Ensure you get power here when you try and glow it.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Have a look at the engine, they should be close to the injectors connected together with wires or a flat plate with a single wire going to the glow plug relay. Ensure you get power here when you try and glow it.
It doesn't necessarily have to have glow plugs or any other type of start assist. I'm told that at least on my machine an '05 LS185.b that is was an option. My engine is 3 cyl. Cummins--my Dodge is a Cummins also. They both have the same starting system which consists of no glow plugs, but rather a heater grid at the intake. It is easily noticeable as there are battery cables going to it. My buddy's Case 1845C has no glow plugs or grid. Instead it has a remote, refillable ether bottle that is remotely controlled by a push button and sprays fluid into the intake. This type of system was common on truck diesels in the 1980's, and in the trucks I drove--it wouldn't start if you didn't squirt it a bunch of times.

Tazza

Staff member
It doesn't necessarily have to have glow plugs or any other type of start assist. I'm told that at least on my machine an '05 LS185.b that is was an option. My engine is 3 cyl. Cummins--my Dodge is a Cummins also. They both have the same starting system which consists of no glow plugs, but rather a heater grid at the intake. It is easily noticeable as there are battery cables going to it. My buddy's Case 1845C has no glow plugs or grid. Instead it has a remote, refillable ether bottle that is remotely controlled by a push button and sprays fluid into the intake. This type of system was common on truck diesels in the 1980's, and in the trucks I drove--it wouldn't start if you didn't squirt it a bunch of times.
Also some direct injection engines do not use glow plugs, they fire from compression alone. My old 731 with a deutz had no glow plugs but would start first time every time even when it was as really cold.