glow plug resistance

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

uffda

I pulled the glow plugs and tested on the multimeter and come up with .8 ohms resistance. What range should good glow plugs read. I thought it was no more than
.6 ohms

foton

with that reading I think they are maybe shorted out. I think they should read about 2 to3 ohms and not over 5 ohms. Be carefull when you do this but get them out and use a battery and energize each one and see if they heat,maybe these read different from what I have seen ohm wise.,with that thought it might be a difference in meters too.

Tazza

Staff member
Don't work with resistance, test them on a battery, use a jumper cable style clamp to hold the body of the plug and touch the end with the thread that goes to the glow rail to the other terminal of the battery, they should glow right to the tip

OP
OP
U

uffda

I did that with the battery but it took a while for it to light up. I'm using NGK 6926 supposedly "rapid start". There is continuity tip to tip, then I touched the tip to the threads and there is continuity, "weird". I get 00.0 at the 200k ohm setting so I went as low as my meter could go which is 200 and it read 00.8 .
Why the continuity from tip to threads? The machine is hard to start, white smoke, missfiring for a little while after it starts, all the symptoms of bad glow plugs. At $8.99 each , probably start with free batch.

foton

yeah get new ones ,but you might want to test the new ones the same way you tested the old ones and see if the readings are the same , just so you can determine if the old ones are indeed bad. but your description of the way it starts sounds like bad glow plugs,or no power to them to get them glowing.

RedNeckMike

There will be continuity. You are reading through the resistance.
It would be like checking a light bulb. Continuity on good light bulb and zero continuity on bad light bulb.

ljettinger

The service manual for the New Holland LS160 and LS170 says the glow plugs should test at 1.0 ohm ±/-0.1ohm.

"Testing a Glow Plug
Check/remove the connector and check the
continuity between each plug terminal and body
ground. If continuity is not observed, it shows
disconnection and the glow plug should be replaced.
The glow plug is of a simple structure and a short
circuit is rarely caused. However, if the central
electrode, body, sheath, etc. come in contact, wiring
of the preheating circuit is burnt during start-up.
Correction: Remove the connector and measure the
resistance of each plug terminal and ground with a
tester. The tester reading should be 1.0 ± 0.1.
Resistance of 0 indicates a short" circuit."
1000011810.png