Give a skid steer shopper some tips

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CCW13

I've been reading here for a bit and decided to sign up and see if I could get all the info I need in one post. I'm thinking about selling my D4 Dozer and getting a skid steer. I've been leaning toward Cat but I'm not set on that. Here are my questions because I can't figure it all out. When you are new to skid steer and all the different options its a bit overwhelming. I would love tracks but I think that is going to be out of my price range. It will be used mainly for farm chores and clearing land. What tips can you give me? As in.....what HP range should I look in so I have enough but not overkill. Do I need a large frame skid steer? Do I need high flow hydraulics or not etc etc. Thank you for any info you give me.

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on what you plan on doing really.
Tyres are good as they are cheaper to replace, but if you have soft sandy soil, tracks will be better.
High flow, are you planning on running a brush cutter or other attachment that needs lots of power/flow?
HP, for a mid sized machine, they will all be in the 40hp range, that is more than enough, they can lift 1400 lbs or so, the larger framed machines have about twice the lifting ability and twice the HP.
You need to work out what you want, do you need the extra lifting ability? i personally like the smaller framed machines, they fit just about anywhere, a good all rounder.

lesgawlik

It depends on what you plan on doing really.
Tyres are good as they are cheaper to replace, but if you have soft sandy soil, tracks will be better.
High flow, are you planning on running a brush cutter or other attachment that needs lots of power/flow?
HP, for a mid sized machine, they will all be in the 40hp range, that is more than enough, they can lift 1400 lbs or so, the larger framed machines have about twice the lifting ability and twice the HP.
You need to work out what you want, do you need the extra lifting ability? i personally like the smaller framed machines, they fit just about anywhere, a good all rounder.
Tracks are great for some things. There is nothing better in mud. I prefer tracks on steep hills. Tracks won't last long if you're loading trucks on asphalt or concrete. It's widely written that UC costs are about 1 1/2 times what wheels are.

OP
OP
C

CCW13

Tracks are great for some things. There is nothing better in mud. I prefer tracks on steep hills. Tracks won't last long if you're loading trucks on asphalt or concrete. It's widely written that UC costs are about 1 1/2 times what wheels are.
Thank you for the response. My plan is to use a brush cutter to clear some land. I went and looked at the 259d and 236d yesterday. The salesman said I probably wouldn't need high flow but I'm not sure. If I'm going to use a brush cutter do I have to get a high flow machine or can I get by without? This will just be a personal use machine, doing chores around the farm and moving hay bales. I'm sure I will find a lot of other uses for it though lol

OP
OP
C

CCW13

Thank you for the response. My plan is to use a brush cutter to clear some land. I went and looked at the 259d and 236d yesterday. The salesman said I probably wouldn't need high flow but I'm not sure. If I'm going to use a brush cutter do I have to get a high flow machine or can I get by without? This will just be a personal use machine, doing chores around the farm and moving hay bales. I'm sure I will find a lot of other uses for it though lol
Sorry I forgot another question and couldn't figure out how to edit my post. I am totally lost when it comes to the multi terrain and the other configuration of track setup. Can someone explain the difference to me. Thank you all in advance.

lesgawlik

Sorry I forgot another question and couldn't figure out how to edit my post. I am totally lost when it comes to the multi terrain and the other configuration of track setup. Can someone explain the difference to me. Thank you all in advance.
I wish I had high flow. It does add to the resale value of the machine. I would look at the attachments I planned on buying, and check to see how many require HF. If there are no standard flow alternatives, that's your answer. It's another pump, so there is some additional machinery to go wrong, but I am not familiar with any particular maintenance issues associated with HF. And while some people have added HF to a standard machine, it's very expensive and labor intensive. It's not practical for most people to do.

OP
OP
C

CCW13

I wish I had high flow. It does add to the resale value of the machine. I would look at the attachments I planned on buying, and check to see how many require HF. If there are no standard flow alternatives, that's your answer. It's another pump, so there is some additional machinery to go wrong, but I am not familiar with any particular maintenance issues associated with HF. And while some people have added HF to a standard machine, it's very expensive and labor intensive. It's not practical for most people to do.
Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated

demodan

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated
you can go with a wheeled skidsteer and put over the tire tracks on it for around $1200 bucks if you see the need for them ive had three different wheeled skidsteers and never been stuck to the point of having to need help.hi-flow is nice to have but youll need to fig out the gpm for your attatchments then see what loaders offer that gpm range, I have a cat 268b and love it it does have hi-flow but i dont need it most of the time,since i use my cat grapple bucket 98% of the time. how much for the dozer? and where are you located??

kroog

you can go with a wheeled skidsteer and put over the tire tracks on it for around $1200 bucks if you see the need for them ive had three different wheeled skidsteers and never been stuck to the point of having to need help.hi-flow is nice to have but youll need to fig out the gpm for your attatchments then see what loaders offer that gpm range, I have a cat 268b and love it it does have hi-flow but i dont need it most of the time,since i use my cat grapple bucket 98% of the time. how much for the dozer? and where are you located??
For most applications, you won't need high flow unless you run an asphalt planer or wheel saw. Most brush cutters don't require high flow. My caution is the high flow causes extra stress on the machine compontents-engine and hydraulic system. If you don't need it, don't pay extra for it. I'm for tires with a set of tracks. You can always take off the tracks and run tires on pavement and gravel. Most mid size machines will handle your demands. If you don't want to worry about the new tier 4 final, get a machine built before 2014.

Latest posts