Gehl R135 Chaincase

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmerdad

Wanted to do the initial 50 hour maintenance on my 2022 Gehl R135 which included draining and refilling both chaincases. I drained one side and put the plug back in. I measured 6 quarts of oil that came out. Next the owners / service manual said to remove the Check / Fill plug (bolt) and fill the chaincase with 10W-30 motor oil. Well this skidsteer does not have the Check / Fill plug so I had to remove both wheels and the chaincase cover plate to dump oil back in. I filled the chaincase to the top of the opening ledge of where the cover plate goes. What I'm wondering is how did I get 6 quarts of oil when draining but it only took 4 quarts to fill the chaincase channel back up. The owners manual indicated each chaincase holds 7.5 quarts. Does Gehl tilt the skidsteer to get more oil in then put the cover plate on and set skidsteer back down. As long as a small part of the chain is covered in oil, is that good enough? Found out afterwards that this particular Gehl model you don't need to mess with the chaincase oil unless you are having a major problem. Wish they would take this out of the owners manual then as it cause a lot of un-needed work! Thanks

OP
OP
F

Farmerdad

For peace of mind, I ended up jacking the skidsteer sideways a few inches and removed the tires and chaincase cover to add another 2 quarts of oil. Feel much better now! LOL.

Firefighter

What i have done already was take two of the top bolts out of the chaincase cover using the one as
a vent the other as the fill using my bulk oil hose fills it in matter of seconds.
using air brake hose & a small funnel works to