Gehl 6635 questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scottster

Picked up a 2000, Gehl 6635, turbo, 2 speed, standard flow hydraulics. Has 2750 her on it. Condition not bad, but previously used in a commercial biz, so other than routine maintenance, thing were only fixed when something failed. Replaced timing belt, decreased everything, changed oil, filters etc. Pulled like 2 wheelbarrow full of oily dirt from the belly once skid plates were removed before decreasing. Runs like new and everything seems to work. Does anybody know when these were new, does the small gas spring actually hold the rear engine hatch open? I replaced it, and hardly assists in lifting at all. So wondering if it should? Next, with the Gehl quick-tach (hook and pins ), what is the options for attachments since its not universal? Is the $1200 adapter plate the typical go to? I'm sure I'll have more questions. My first skidsteer for around the farm. I'm pretty good mechanically and so far this has been pretty easy to work on. Thanks and great forum? Scott

caseman1962

I'm trying myself to get answers about a 4835, so as far as a great forum....not so much. From my researches, the 35 series were built from '99-2005. (If I'm wrong the correctional police should arrive). I know this post is about 18 months old now so my question with that is how has the 6635 been for you or do you still have it? Does it have hand or foot controls for the bucket? The oily dirt from the belly would of been a concern as where was the leak coming from? Does the 6635 have the Deutz motor? Thanks

OP
OP
S

scottster

I'm trying myself to get answers about a 4835, so as far as a great forum....not so much. From my researches, the 35 series were built from '99-2005. (If I'm wrong the correctional police should arrive). I know this post is about 18 months old now so my question with that is how has the 6635 been for you or do you still have it? Does it have hand or foot controls for the bucket? The oily dirt from the belly would of been a concern as where was the leak coming from? Does the 6635 have the Deutz motor? Thanks
I still have my 6635SXT series 2. I thought they were built a little earlier and changed to the 6640 in 2003, but limited info found as well. My 6635 has the 80hp turbo Diesel Deutz...strong engine! I found the dirt in the belly was due to the skid-plate edge opening. Worked like a shovel when dragging the belly on piles of dirt. Had 2 leaking hoses that caused the oil-spill and the dire was saturated. a little bending on the skid-plate once removed and all fixed now. Watch it though, the dirt packed near the nose & I have some small rust/rot now from the moisture poking through. I picked up 2 railroad ties (wood) which are like 12" x 12" that I drive up on. Raises it high enough to remove skid plate and access underside easily. Makes oil-changes clean & easy and no risk of it falling off jack-stands etc. Use the bucket to raise the front wheels and drive right up. Not long after I got it, all the hydraulics quit out in the field. Had to fix it in that spot (can't tow these 8000lb monsters easily w/o removing the drive-chains). After much digging and little answers to be found on the forums, I pulled the hyd-pump and found no problem. So..pulled the tandem pumps & found a small shaft coupler had the splines stripped out of it. Would not let the engine spin the pump shaft. A $14 coupler and 3 hr's later it was back running. I did have to drain the hydraulic oil to do this, but found baggies and zip-ties can keep the hoses from leaking in the shoft-term. I also changed the Timing belt since it has 2000 hr's on it. Read it's better to change for $100 than bend a valve. Was messy, but not difficult if you purchase the kits available on Ebay. I found some of my tools are not big enough for hoses etc, otherwise just takes time to do. Mine is a 99 according to the engine plate. It has the Gehl "T" handles on left/right for control. Only foot control is for the optional hydraulic attachments (mine is SXT, 2-speed not high-flow). My only disappointment was the loop-hook- pin Gehl ALLTACH attach for the bucket/forks. Being older, cannot find any attachments to fit unless Gehl specific. I found on Craiglist the Gehl QUICKTACH which is basically a Bobcat plate that Gehl did sell at the time as an option. Now I can use Bobcat attachments and can rent other attachments that are available these days if needed. The XX35 manuals (both operator & service) are available online for FREE if you do some digging. I have found most of my parts online (new) from German Bliss, Golden Eagle, Ebay and others. Use the service manual to reference the part number and do a search. I found it's not that difficult to work on, but some areas are tight access and lots of contortion and bending to get to the areas. A board laying across the front with the cab tilted helps. Good luck w/yours....Scott

caseman1962

I still have my 6635SXT series 2. I thought they were built a little earlier and changed to the 6640 in 2003, but limited info found as well. My 6635 has the 80hp turbo Diesel Deutz...strong engine! I found the dirt in the belly was due to the skid-plate edge opening. Worked like a shovel when dragging the belly on piles of dirt. Had 2 leaking hoses that caused the oil-spill and the dire was saturated. a little bending on the skid-plate once removed and all fixed now. Watch it though, the dirt packed near the nose & I have some small rust/rot now from the moisture poking through. I picked up 2 railroad ties (wood) which are like 12" x 12" that I drive up on. Raises it high enough to remove skid plate and access underside easily. Makes oil-changes clean & easy and no risk of it falling off jack-stands etc. Use the bucket to raise the front wheels and drive right up. Not long after I got it, all the hydraulics quit out in the field. Had to fix it in that spot (can't tow these 8000lb monsters easily w/o removing the drive-chains). After much digging and little answers to be found on the forums, I pulled the hyd-pump and found no problem. So..pulled the tandem pumps & found a small shaft coupler had the splines stripped out of it. Would not let the engine spin the pump shaft. A $14 coupler and 3 hr's later it was back running. I did have to drain the hydraulic oil to do this, but found baggies and zip-ties can keep the hoses from leaking in the shoft-term. I also changed the Timing belt since it has 2000 hr's on it. Read it's better to change for $100 than bend a valve. Was messy, but not difficult if you purchase the kits available on Ebay. I found some of my tools are not big enough for hoses etc, otherwise just takes time to do. Mine is a 99 according to the engine plate. It has the Gehl "T" handles on left/right for control. Only foot control is for the optional hydraulic attachments (mine is SXT, 2-speed not high-flow). My only disappointment was the loop-hook- pin Gehl ALLTACH attach for the bucket/forks. Being older, cannot find any attachments to fit unless Gehl specific. I found on Craiglist the Gehl QUICKTACH which is basically a Bobcat plate that Gehl did sell at the time as an option. Now I can use Bobcat attachments and can rent other attachments that are available these days if needed. The XX35 manuals (both operator & service) are available online for FREE if you do some digging. I have found most of my parts online (new) from German Bliss, Golden Eagle, Ebay and others. Use the service manual to reference the part number and do a search. I found it's not that difficult to work on, but some areas are tight access and lots of contortion and bending to get to the areas. A board laying across the front with the cab tilted helps. Good luck w/yours....Scott
Thanks Scott, I had no idea about the quick attach plates as I thought they all were mostly all standardized in late 80's early 90's. I see a 4835 on craigslist for $13k with 1600 hrs on it & now just spotted today a Case 90xt which I'm inquiring about but has more than twice the hours but the price reflects that, some. I like the hand controls for the bucket. Is the Gehl like a Cat skidsteer where the right lever is all bucket control or is it like Case where the lever on left moved sideways moves bucket up/down & right lever moved sideways curls the bucket? I read somewhere, maybe on the heavy equipment forum, someone said the Duetz they had ate fuel pumps & solenoids. I'm the type who reads this then I shy away. Another fellow said Gehl were all junk. Well I tend to believe they all have their problem & as you've stated they all can be a bear to work on. I always thought Duetz were dependable engines. Good to know the timing belt is rather easy to DIY. Dumb question tho...Is the Deutz air cooled or liquid? Every time I see or hear that engine name I think years back about the notoriety of the fuel economy & air cooled reputation in their tractors. Maybe they've changed it now. If I sound like a new-bee here well, I am. I've never owned a skid steer but now after years of breaking my back & asking for & depending on people it's high time I own my own. I'll probably have more questions for you in the future if you don't mind? Thank you again for taking the time for answering some of my questions. Greg

OP
OP
S

scottster

Thanks Scott, I had no idea about the quick attach plates as I thought they all were mostly all standardized in late 80's early 90's. I see a 4835 on craigslist for $13k with 1600 hrs on it & now just spotted today a Case 90xt which I'm inquiring about but has more than twice the hours but the price reflects that, some. I like the hand controls for the bucket. Is the Gehl like a Cat skidsteer where the right lever is all bucket control or is it like Case where the lever on left moved sideways moves bucket up/down & right lever moved sideways curls the bucket? I read somewhere, maybe on the heavy equipment forum, someone said the Duetz they had ate fuel pumps & solenoids. I'm the type who reads this then I shy away. Another fellow said Gehl were all junk. Well I tend to believe they all have their problem & as you've stated they all can be a bear to work on. I always thought Duetz were dependable engines. Good to know the timing belt is rather easy to DIY. Dumb question tho...Is the Deutz air cooled or liquid? Every time I see or hear that engine name I think years back about the notoriety of the fuel economy & air cooled reputation in their tractors. Maybe they've changed it now. If I sound like a new-bee here well, I am. I've never owned a skid steer but now after years of breaking my back & asking for & depending on people it's high time I own my own. I'll probably have more questions for you in the future if you don't mind? Thank you again for taking the time for answering some of my questions. Greg
Yes, my 99-6635 has bucket controls on the right, drive/turn on left "T" handles. I got such a deal on mine (w/rubber tracks) that I wasn't concerned about the brand. Since then, I've done a lot of research and Gehl skids seems to be right in there. Some prefer only Gehl once they've used them. I'm guessing it's like anything else and all are pretty good, just preference. I do agree with comments that having access to service/parts would be a major concern, especially with a new purchase. Mine being a 1999, and all hydraulic (no electronic controls) reduces the need for a dealer network, and parts are only 1 day away on the internet. The Deutz is oil-cooled, has a radiator that is shared with the hydraulics (50/50) for cooling. I've not seen any issues with pumps/solenoids in my Gehl research, at least not in the 6635, and mostly praise for the longevity of the Deutz...if you keep the timing belts changed every ~2000 hr's. They've been around and all parts are available if needed. The engine access is a lot easier than some of the hydraulics, filters are accessible etc. I'm guessing you could do almost anything with it in the chassis...hoping I never have to! This is my first skid. I was looking at a compact tractor, but already have a 35hp tractor, and really needed something to move dirt, heavy lifting and grade etc that was built for doing just that. My tractor does everything else well. Initially I was looking at the CASE 1845, which seemed like a good size and reliable. The commercial guys always say, get bigger, or you will be sorry later. My opinion for farm/residential use is bigger is not necessarily better. Harder to maneuver, sinks in the grass etc. My 6635 is bigger (8000lbs) than I would like most of the time, but has ~2500 hrs, tracks and was priced too low to pass up for the condition...so I have ruts in the yard when I use it, even with the tracks. My thoughts were get something that is easy to work on (ALL HYDRAULICS) and big enough that typical yard/farm work won't exceed the capability and stress the parts. So far so good!