Gehl 5640E Starter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ottercreek

Something was shorted out on my skidloader starter. It died and any attempt to start it would make it get really hot. I pulled the starter, and put in another ( a cheap one off the internet) When i turned the ignition to the glow plug setting it fired up. It ran for ten minutes. I turned it off and it wouldn't start again. That starter is smoked. It looks like it didn't disengage the starter after starting and destroyed the starter. The first starter (not the original. a replacement that was in it for about 6 years) had spots for 3 wires. The two red power wires. and two to the solenoid from the ignition. I put both wires to the one spot on the solenoid. Took both starters in to a rebuild shop, both are trashed. The guy there was finally able to puzzle out where the two wires from ignition go. I also replaced the ignition switch. Put new starter in, and it again fired up while in the glow plug position on ignition. I immediately turned it back off and could hear the the starter disengaging when turned off. So do I have two problems? Starting at glow plug position on ignition? and Starter not disengaging after starting? Or one with two different symptoms? Also could i have miswired the ignition switch? Schematics show a start relay, but don't show where it is located. Any ideas?

foton

I would think that the wire that goes to the starter relay is wired wrong it stays hot all the time (when the switch is in the run position) instead of turning off in the run position.

Latest posts