Gehl 3610 - Isuzu 3KC

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

2Barrels

Been having some major issues with starting as well as always burning black smoke, and at times low power. Started with checking glows, and replacing the fuel filters. After replacing the filters and bleeding the system I found that I'm not getting any fuel from the pump into the lines, and thus the injectors. Local dealer suggested removing the pump and having it and the injectors tested.. Removed the 4 bolts that hold the pump, but for the life of me I cannot get the pump out of the housing. Pump raises about 1/4-1/2" but goes no further. Tilting it, et al, does kow good. What am I missing?

Tazza

Staff member
Is there an inspection cover near the pump? Some have like a cradle that the fuel control rack sits in, it may be snagged on this.
I know the Kubota engines i have worked on have a notch in the casting of the block that you must line up the pin on to get it in and out.
Hopefully it's that simple

OP
OP

2Barrels

Is there an inspection cover near the pump? Some have like a cradle that the fuel control rack sits in, it may be snagged on this.
I know the Kubota engines i have worked on have a notch in the casting of the block that you must line up the pin on to get it in and out.
Hopefully it's that simple
No inspection cover per se. I did remove the fuel shut-off arm that is on the side of the pump, which gave me a better look at what is hanging up. There is an arm (thin metal) that is slotted and has a pin that runs in the slot. This pin I believe is the fuel-shot-off and is cammed by the fuel shut-off arm/lever that I removed. Tried getting the thin metal arm off or over the pin with no luck.

Tazza

Staff member
No inspection cover per se. I did remove the fuel shut-off arm that is on the side of the pump, which gave me a better look at what is hanging up. There is an arm (thin metal) that is slotted and has a pin that runs in the slot. This pin I believe is the fuel-shot-off and is cammed by the fuel shut-off arm/lever that I removed. Tried getting the thin metal arm off or over the pin with no luck.
There has to be a trick to it, have you tried talking to the service department at your locak or even not so local dealer? it may be something really simple.

OP
OP

2Barrels

There has to be a trick to it, have you tried talking to the service department at your locak or even not so local dealer? it may be something really simple.
Well, on Saturday I went down to another dealer - not so local. Service manager there was helpful. Though he did not have any recent knowledge of the Isuzu 3KC pump he suggested that there was either a C-clip or something similar holding things up. Showed me some service manuals. One manual - for a Mitsubishi diesel - showed a long spring hook to the rod/pin I was referring to. Came back home and took another look. This time with magnifiers on and lo and behold, there's a long spring hooked over the rack control (the rod/pin I have been referring to.) Reached in with a needle nose, grabbed the spring and removed it. Pump lifted out w/o further issue. Tuesday, pump and injectors will be off to the diesel injection service center for testing, rebuild and/or replacement. One thing the service manager did recommend was that I turn the engine over by hand and take a look at the cam lobes to see if there were any major signs of wear. I did so, and didn't note any unusual wear. He said that since the pump is 'timed' by shims, as long as I didn't loose or change the order that the shims came out, replacement and timing shouldn't be an issue. I hope he's right. When I took the pump out, there was only one shim - looks more like a gasket, but I was sure to leave it undisturbed.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, on Saturday I went down to another dealer - not so local. Service manager there was helpful. Though he did not have any recent knowledge of the Isuzu 3KC pump he suggested that there was either a C-clip or something similar holding things up. Showed me some service manuals. One manual - for a Mitsubishi diesel - showed a long spring hook to the rod/pin I was referring to. Came back home and took another look. This time with magnifiers on and lo and behold, there's a long spring hooked over the rack control (the rod/pin I have been referring to.) Reached in with a needle nose, grabbed the spring and removed it. Pump lifted out w/o further issue. Tuesday, pump and injectors will be off to the diesel injection service center for testing, rebuild and/or replacement. One thing the service manager did recommend was that I turn the engine over by hand and take a look at the cam lobes to see if there were any major signs of wear. I did so, and didn't note any unusual wear. He said that since the pump is 'timed' by shims, as long as I didn't loose or change the order that the shims came out, replacement and timing shouldn't be an issue. I hope he's right. When I took the pump out, there was only one shim - looks more like a gasket, but I was sure to leave it undisturbed.
The shim setup makes it a lot easier to re-install. Kubota have that setup, very simple.
The only issue is that you sometimes get a little oil out between shims, some gasket sealant between the shims, block and pump fix this though.

Dimo

Hello there! I am looking for a connecting rod for Isuzu Gehl 3610, specifications-K ISUZU-FM 2855, 3KR1EA-07 bc/ij, 316848. Hope someone will give me a useful information. Thank you in advance! You may call me at 514 402 9547

Dimo

Hello there! Could you please tell me, where I can get a connecting rod for Isuzu GEHL 3610? Specs- K ISUZU-FM 2855; 3KR1EA-07 bc/ij; 316848

Latest posts