Gehl 2500 ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bhaugen

I have a Bad Hyrostatic drive on the left side on my 2500 (see want add for replacement, I have a housing that is cracked and I need a whole unit). If I were to find a right side, could I swap the trunion shaft (or the control shaft) around and make it work? I have a parts book for it and it looks like that may be all I would need to do, or am I missing something. The reason I ask is I am having a hard time finding a replacement.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know the pump you have, but the ones i have worked on, i see no reason why you couldn't do that. Most seem to be a mirror image, so if you rotate it, it will still work the same.

frogfarmer

I don't know the pump you have, but the ones i have worked on, i see no reason why you couldn't do that. Most seem to be a mirror image, so if you rotate it, it will still work the same.
I would be very careful about trying to make something work. Usually a part that is side specific has a mirror image housing with the internals being the same. You could run into a problem with mounting holes or hose routing.

OP
OP
B

bhaugen

I would be very careful about trying to make something work. Usually a part that is side specific has a mirror image housing with the internals being the same. You could run into a problem with mounting holes or hose routing.
Well first of all, I am not finding parts for it, so making something work is looking like a better option. I would prefer to find another complete left hydrostatic drive, but as of now I can't find any. I might have found a whole unit for parts with a bad motor, but the guy isn't that interested in selling it. From what I can see on them, all I have to do is flip the Trunion shafts around that goes into the swash plate on the pump side, if I find a right side drive, instead of the left side I need. From the parts book I have for it, the needle bearings and washers on both sides of the trunion shaft are the same part numbers, and from looking at it externally, it looks like that is all I would have to do. Also the housing all have the same part numbers, left to right.

Tazza

Staff member
Well first of all, I am not finding parts for it, so making something work is looking like a better option. I would prefer to find another complete left hydrostatic drive, but as of now I can't find any. I might have found a whole unit for parts with a bad motor, but the guy isn't that interested in selling it. From what I can see on them, all I have to do is flip the Trunion shafts around that goes into the swash plate on the pump side, if I find a right side drive, instead of the left side I need. From the parts book I have for it, the needle bearings and washers on both sides of the trunion shaft are the same part numbers, and from looking at it externally, it looks like that is all I would have to do. Also the housing all have the same part numbers, left to right.
I'd pull it down and check, look for any extra holes etc, if they are ok, give it a go. Make sure the shims go back on to get the correct pre-load. This will need to be re-checked if you install new bearings, i see no reason why you can't use the ones that are on there now though.