Fuel Tank Suction Line

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldMachinist

I know there have many discussions here about old style fuel lines breaking off in the tank but has anyone sourced a aftermarket alternative for the new fuel line type. Has anyone who bought a new one from Bobcat noticed if there where markings on the new one telling was material it was.

Tazza

Staff member
I too would like to know this, i figured if you could get nitrile (spelling?) rubber lines they should be ok as its made to handle all solvents.

thetool

Because my nearest dealer is 50 miles away and if I knew far sure what they used I could source it elsewhere.
Old Machinist-
I have held the fuel tubes in my hand, but as I recall, there were no markings. Remembering the texture to be like nylon, I searched and found this:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/synflex/media/SHS002 (DieselFuelTubing).pdf
which sorta verifies my suspicion that it is indeed nylon. I think it's 3/8"?
I can't find any sources on the net for less than 100 ft. rolls. May be your local hose supplier will sell 3/8" nylon tubing by the foot. It may be 5/16". I guess you'd be able to take the barbed fitting in to match it.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

Old Machinist-
I have held the fuel tubes in my hand, but as I recall, there were no markings. Remembering the texture to be like nylon, I searched and found this:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/synflex/media/SHS002%20%28DieselFuelTubing%29.pdf
which sorta verifies my suspicion that it is indeed nylon. I think it's 3/8"?
I can't find any sources on the net for less than 100 ft. rolls. May be your local hose supplier will sell 3/8" nylon tubing by the foot. It may be 5/16". I guess you'd be able to take the barbed fitting in to match it.
Hope that helps.
I havn't pulled mine out yet but it acted a little funny yesterday and I suspect the line broke off about half way up.
My best guess then would be Nylon 6 tubing. It is rated for fuel and I can get it in any length I need quick from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ depending on it size for .30- .65 per foot. I always have something in my cart on the McMaster website I need. I will have it the next day as long as I order before 6pm cst. I get stuff from them almost every week because with gas prices the way they are it costs me about $10 to drive to town and then its a crap shoot if someone has what I need. Most packages from McMaster cost me about $6 unless its something heavy or oversize.

Fishfiles

I havn't pulled mine out yet but it acted a little funny yesterday and I suspect the line broke off about half way up.
My best guess then would be Nylon 6 tubing. It is rated for fuel and I can get it in any length I need quick from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ depending on it size for .30- .65 per foot. I always have something in my cart on the McMaster website I need. I will have it the next day as long as I order before 6pm cst. I get stuff from them almost every week because with gas prices the way they are it costs me about $10 to drive to town and then its a crap shoot if someone has what I need. Most packages from McMaster cost me about $6 unless its something heavy or oversize.
The replacement (upgrade) that my dealer sells I would call a poly propolene material and 1/4 i.d. , it is hard plastic tubing and it doesn't appear to come off a roll as the pieces are precut and staight as an arrow , plastic tubing off a roll like used on air lines on trucks probally would not work as it would probally never straighten out ,but could possibly be straightened out as in the past with the old style clear tubing I would put a clothes hanger thru the tubing over night and it would straighten it out some what , have never tried it on hard tubing ----today I have to change a pick up in a 963 which I found out yesterday that it still uses the clear tubing as it is so long they don't have a replacement for it in the black hard tube --------you really should change the rubber bushing that holds the pickup tubes 90 dgree fitting into the top the tank as it gets swollen from the diesel , being that has to come from the dealer you might as well take the ride

perry

The replacement (upgrade) that my dealer sells I would call a poly propolene material and 1/4 i.d. , it is hard plastic tubing and it doesn't appear to come off a roll as the pieces are precut and staight as an arrow , plastic tubing off a roll like used on air lines on trucks probally would not work as it would probally never straighten out ,but could possibly be straightened out as in the past with the old style clear tubing I would put a clothes hanger thru the tubing over night and it would straighten it out some what , have never tried it on hard tubing ----today I have to change a pick up in a 963 which I found out yesterday that it still uses the clear tubing as it is so long they don't have a replacement for it in the black hard tube --------you really should change the rubber bushing that holds the pickup tubes 90 dgree fitting into the top the tank as it gets swollen from the diesel , being that has to come from the dealer you might as well take the ride
Fish, good to hear from you, so what's happening down there after the storm?.

Fishfiles

Fish, good to hear from you, so what's happening down there after the storm?.
Perry , the winds got to 75 mph around my house , the water got higher in some cities surrounding New Orleans for Gustv and Ike than it did for Katrina , Ike was one really big water event , the tide was 8.5 foot over normal on the east side of the Mississippi river at New Orleans about 1.5 less than Katrina and it hit in Texas , water was spilling over leeves and flood walls , Ike was more a threat of water to the west bank ., fishing towns outside the leeves got hit hard , the road to Venice (end of the world ) is still flooded and Lafitte's roads dried up just Wenesday , if that storm would have been 100 or so miles to east it would have made Katrina look like a thunder storm to New Orleans , I feel for the people in Texas as I have lived it and know what they are going thru ------lots of trees down and roof damage , crews picking up the pieces , crime is on the rise , they almost got my personal truck last week , I heard the alarm go off and got to the window in time to see them run to a truck and drive off , the had the door open and the police told me if they would have got it, it would have been the 31st Dodge Ram stolen in a 10 day period , I joked to the police that Nicholus Cage (gone in 60 seconds ) must have been in town and was told he was in town filming a movie right before the storm , only thing saved me was the stock alarm had been replaced with an aftermarket as they seem to know how to beat the stock alarm , last night they broke into my buddies shop and all they did was used his torch to cut open the coke machine and empty it of money , a construction cew I know was robbed at gun point the day before ,took all walets , cell phones , jewlery and car keys , it's pretty violent down here and it don't make the news , I love it here but am seriously thinking of moving north of I-12

Latest posts