Fuel tank removal on 317

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sluggish

I need to remove the tank form my 317 skid steer to get a jerry can nozzle out of there. It keeps getting caught in the fuel pickup every now and then and shuts the machine down. I wait a few minutes and it fires up again but I'm sick of doing that. Anybody ever pulled the tank out? I haven't looked closely but from a quick initial glance, it looks like the motor will have to be pulled out to get at the tank. Can anyone confirm or deny this is correct ? Thanks. Before you ask, I have tried fishing it out but I can't even see it in there and I really don't want to hook something I shouldn't and then have extra costs incurred. Also, does anyone know of a good source for a shop repair manual for this machine, 2009 Deere 317

bobcatguy

Don't remove the tank, just remove the sending unit , keep fuel in the tank, raise the front of the machine and place blocks under it, drain the fuel form the tank at the plug in the back of the tank, buy a cheap extraction tool from Harbor Freight, stick it down in the tank and grab the lid through the sending unit hole. Hope this save you some time.

bobcatguy

Don't remove the tank, just remove the sending unit , keep fuel in the tank, raise the front of the machine and place blocks under it, drain the fuel form the tank at the plug in the back of the tank, buy a cheap extraction tool from Harbor Freight, stick it down in the tank and grab the lid through the sending unit hole. Hope this save you some time.
If you take the sending unit out of the tank you have all but eliminated the chance of harming anything inside the tank and it will give you an opening large enough to use a flashlight to see inside the tank. If you roll the front up and block it should bring the lid with it to the back of the tank. You might have the cap block the drain hole in the tank when you start draining fuel. It should be easy to spot and remove at that point. I wouldn't pull the tank unless what I suggest above fails but I don't think it will fail.