Fuel Pump Primer Bulb.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Raise the roll over cage, then there should be two metal plates screwed on top of the fuel tank. One for the fuel gage float/sender and the other one for the fuel line. Mine has four screws holding it on with a 90 degree fitting in the middle of the plate. Remove the 4 screws and life the plate off. That will bring up the fuel line & screen/check valve. Pretty simple really but I don't think the manuals cover it much.

You can check the voltage on your glow plug circuit wire before or after removing the glow plugs. If you have less than battery voltage at the wire that attaches to the glow plug then check it before (going in) and after (coming out) of the relay.
Still working on diagnosing my sky steer. It was kind of late when I started so I didn't get a whole lot done. I checked the voltage that goes to the glow plugs and it's good. I raised the cab to locate the fuel line. Doesn't seem to be quite like you (ajwgator) described. My fuel tank is behind the engine under the hydrostatic pump. I see a couple of hoses that I can get at. I'm guessing one is the suction. I don't see the plate with 4 bolts only hoses and elbows connected to the tank. I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'll trace the hose that goes to the injector pump. I hope I don't screw up. Wish me luck. and thanks for the help, everyone. Very much appreciated.
[h4][/h4]

Jyuma1

This may be of no value at all, but my Thomas T133 has always been a bear to start on cold winter mornings. Sometimes taking over an hour and a few battery jumps to get it going. Starting fluid is a no no with glow plugs but that didn't stop me from trying just a little spray anyway... no joy, ignites too easily causing piston to stop on the compression stroke with a clunk sound.

Then I stumbled on this simple method of getting stubborn diesels to start in the cold... a heat gun. I remove the air intake hose from the air filter to the intake and insert the snout of my heat gun into the hose leading to the intake. Turn on the heat gun (best to use low heat) and let it heat the intake for 10 minutes or so. Using the heat gun, the engine fires to life fairly easily... well, at least it does on my T133. An alternate method is to hold the glo-plug switch in the on position (manual momentary switch in my T133) for over a minute, preferably two.

If this method doesn't work, then the problem is fuel related. If it does work, then the problem is glo-plug circuit related.

Good luck.

A word of caution: Heat guns can get hot enough to melt the rubber of an air intake hose. A safer alternative is to use a hair dryer. Under no circumstances should you leave whatever pre-heating method you are using, unattended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Raise the roll over cage, then there should be two metal plates screwed on top of the fuel tank. One for the fuel gage float/sender and the other one for the fuel line. Mine has four screws holding it on with a 90 degree fitting in the middle of the plate. Remove the 4 screws and life the plate off. That will bring up the fuel line & screen/check valve. Pretty simple really but I don't think the manuals cover it much.

You can check the voltage on your glow plug circuit wire before or after removing the glow plugs. If you have less than battery voltage at the wire that attaches to the glow plug then check it before (going in) and after (coming out) of the relay.

Still working on diagnosing my sky steer. It was kind of late when I started so I didn't get a whole lot done. I checked the voltage that goes to the glow plugs and it's good. I raised the cab to locate the fuel line. Doesn't seem to be quite like you (ajwgator) described. My fuel tank is behind the engine under the hydrostatic pump. I see a couple of hoses that I can get at. I'm guessing one is the suction. I don't see the plate with 4 bolts only hoses and elbows connected to the tank. I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'll trace the hose that goes to the injector pump. I hope I don't screw up. Wish me luck. and thanks for the help, everyone. Very much appreciated.
[h4][/h4]
This morning I've been able to pull the fuel line out of the fuel tank and it looks almost like new and so does the screen, so I guess all that's left to do is wait for the new glow plugs to come in.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

I got my new glow plugs today and I was able to get the old ones out. I screwed the new ones in and tighten them snug and stopped to consult my owners manual on what torque I should tighten them at. My manual doesn't specify the torque so I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this. I read on one thread related to glow plugs on the forum where foton advises to use never- seize on the threads which I will do. Thanks foton.

brdgbldr

I got my new glow plugs today and I was able to get the old ones out. I screwed the new ones in and tighten them snug and stopped to consult my owners manual on what torque I should tighten them at. My manual doesn't specify the torque so I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this. I read on one thread related to glow plugs on the forum where foton advises to use never- seize on the threads which I will do. Thanks foton.
The specs I have for glow plug torques are 14.5-18.1 ft.-lbs.

I have includes photos of the different spec sheets depending on your serial number.

Attachments

• E7231BF4-7045-408A-B2C4-F4D736099649.jpeg
    E7231BF4-7045-408A-B2C4-F4D736099649.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 45
  • C44F27D9-8325-4248-B623-0D33E2AB63A0.jpeg
    C44F27D9-8325-4248-B623-0D33E2AB63A0.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 54DF60FF-49A3-4FAD-8E54-8AFBA226F616.jpeg
    54DF60FF-49A3-4FAD-8E54-8AFBA226F616.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

The specs I have for glow plug torques are 14.5-18.1 ft.-lbs.

I have includes photos of the different spec sheets depending on your serial number.
Exactly what I'm looking for. Nice spec sheets. Could be useful later on also. I'm saving those. Thank you very much.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Two of the old glow plugs gave me a hard time when I was removing them. It was as though there was some kind of build up along side of the heating element that was preventing me from pulling them out. There probably still is some build up in there. I wonder if I probably should do something about that?

DirtRodeo

Back to the original subject. The bulb on my '84 743 was hard and starving the engine of fuel. It was fill of sediment. I removed it from the line as I have a 12v Facet pump in line that takes care of priming

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Back to the original subject. The bulb on my '84 743 was hard and starving the engine of fuel. It was fill of sediment. I removed it from the line as I have a 12v Facet pump in line that takes care of priming
That's worth looking into. Thanks

oiu789

That probably was not build up on the side of the glow plug. When they burn out they blister usually on the side. When you get it started rap it up to blow out any stuff left in the cylinder.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

That probably was not build up on the side of the glow plug. When they burn out they blister usually on the side. When you get it started rap it up to blow out any stuff left in the cylinder.
I had one burnt out and the other 3 were good so I replaced all of them and the 3 good ones, I'm keeping for spare. When they came out , some of them had some kind of build up on them and I think that's why some didn't want to come out without a bit of persuasion. When they did come out , I suspect some of that build up stayed in the hole. What do you mean by, "When you get it started rap it up to blow out any stuff left in the cylinder"? Do you mean to do this before reinstalling the new glow-plugs?

foton

If you are concerned leave the glow plugs out and turn the engine over a bit it should blow out any carbon that fell off.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

If you are concerned leave the glow plugs out and turn the engine over a bit it should blow out any carbon that fell off.
I've got everything back together. I didn't turn it over yet. Now that you've suggested this foton I am thinking on taking it apart again to do what your suggesting me to do.

North Idaho Wolfman

I've got everything back together. I didn't turn it over yet. Now that you've suggested this foton I am thinking on taking it apart again to do what your suggesting me to do.
Leaving the glow plugs out and cranking it is not going to blow anything out, there is not any air flow for this to happen.
The only way you could achieve something like this would be to remove the injectors and then blow air into the injector holes and try to blow any debris out of the glow plug hole.
And that would be an extreme long shot too.