front window question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gotstuck

I know this is in the wrong forum but the general repair forum would not let me post a new thread. Today a root ball hit the Plexiglas windshield and popped it out. Are there any tricks to getting it back in? It was held in place by a rubber gasket. Thanks!

thetool

I've never done a plexi cab window, but if it's like the glass and fits in with the gasket they are a pain.
You've got to make sure the gasket is clean. Try and match it up with where it was on the frame, exactly. Make sure the keyway is unlocked and pull the cord out.
I use electricians tape, one wrap around the gasket and frame to keep the gasket in place. I use silicon spray like wd-40 as a lube. Have a razor blade handy, and you need some picks or awls to help get the gasket around the glass.
You need to have it on a flat surface like a table that you can walk around and/or spin the whole thing to work on it.
Start at one corner and work the glass into the gasket. Slit the tape with the blade and remove the tape as you work around. Keep it lubed and work your way around the frame with the picks. If it is a glass window, don't pry to hard against the glass with the picks. The first third of the way around is critical, when the glass may want to pop out.
After you get aobut two thirds of the way around, it starts coming together. You might have to bumpt it with hands on either side of the glass, the whole pane is above the framne when it's done.
Install the cord on the inside, then go to the front side and tuck the lock.
It takes me about an hour and a lot of cussing to do this. I'd like to see how the pro's do it......=).

thetool

I've never done a plexi cab window, but if it's like the glass and fits in with the gasket they are a pain.
You've got to make sure the gasket is clean. Try and match it up with where it was on the frame, exactly. Make sure the keyway is unlocked and pull the cord out.
I use electricians tape, one wrap around the gasket and frame to keep the gasket in place. I use silicon spray like wd-40 as a lube. Have a razor blade handy, and you need some picks or awls to help get the gasket around the glass.
You need to have it on a flat surface like a table that you can walk around and/or spin the whole thing to work on it.
Start at one corner and work the glass into the gasket. Slit the tape with the blade and remove the tape as you work around. Keep it lubed and work your way around the frame with the picks. If it is a glass window, don't pry to hard against the glass with the picks. The first third of the way around is critical, when the glass may want to pop out.
After you get aobut two thirds of the way around, it starts coming together. You might have to bumpt it with hands on either side of the glass, the whole pane is above the framne when it's done.
Install the cord on the inside, then go to the front side and tuck the lock.
It takes me about an hour and a lot of cussing to do this. I'd like to see how the pro's do it......=).
About the tape, I meant one wrap at corners and bends and such where the gasket dosen't want to stay in place on the frame.

sp6x6

About the tape, I meant one wrap at corners and bends and such where the gasket dosen't want to stay in place on the frame.
Look in a older automotive manual. I rolled a Land cruiser years ago and replaced all glass. You want to prep like the tool said, but for install into body you want 2 people. 1 insde, 1 out , that is where you use a length of good 1/4 inch type cord longer than the circumferance. Wrap cord around window unit in same channel that it seats in, in bobcat body. Then person on outside hold window with pressure against opening, while person on inside starts working casket in place, where rope overlaps, say at a corner, when you pull cord inside cab it pulls out of gasket channel and forces edge inside the opening. After started it goes pretty easy. It is hard to explain. Go to a local glass shop and ask to watch a install.

Land-Tech

Look in a older automotive manual. I rolled a Land cruiser years ago and replaced all glass. You want to prep like the tool said, but for install into body you want 2 people. 1 insde, 1 out , that is where you use a length of good 1/4 inch type cord longer than the circumferance. Wrap cord around window unit in same channel that it seats in, in bobcat body. Then person on outside hold window with pressure against opening, while person on inside starts working casket in place, where rope overlaps, say at a corner, when you pull cord inside cab it pulls out of gasket channel and forces edge inside the opening. After started it goes pretty easy. It is hard to explain. Go to a local glass shop and ask to watch a install.
Ive always done it the hard way. The cord idea is a neat trick.Scott