fixing a pitted drive axle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dewadict

One of my drive wheels leaks past the seal because of the axle being pitted and worn a little. Wondering if filling the small imperfections with JB weld and smoothing would work. Also considered having it turned in a lathe to smooth it, but then I'd have to worry about finding the right size seal. Anyone encountered this problem? I guess the other option is to find a 28 year old used drive wheel in decent shape.

jerry

Can you put a picture of the pitted area on here? You may only need a speedy sleeve from either auto parts store or bearing supply. It is a very thin quite hard sleeve that is driven on the shaft to the worn area. You can have the shaft machined and rebuilt with either weld or metal/ceramic spray but that would cost more.

OP
OP
dewadict

dewadict

Can you put a picture of the pitted area on here? You may only need a speedy sleeve from either auto parts store or bearing supply. It is a very thin quite hard sleeve that is driven on the shaft to the worn area. You can have the shaft machined and rebuilt with either weld or metal/ceramic spray but that would cost more.
I was just at a NAPA store and they were also telling me about a speedi sleeve. I had they axle with and they thought it was a good fix. Has anyone ever worked with these?

jerry

I was just at a NAPA store and they were also telling me about a speedi sleeve. I had they axle with and they thought it was a good fix. Has anyone ever worked with these?
Been a long time since I did one and they were from a industrial supply but if you bring the shaft in or mike it carefully they should have the right size. It used to come in a kit which included the driver. They are not dirt cheap but would be worth a try.

OP
OP
dewadict

dewadict

Been a long time since I did one and they were from a industrial supply but if you bring the shaft in or mike it carefully they should have the right size. It used to come in a kit which included the driver. They are not dirt cheap but would be worth a try.
At bowling last night I asked one of my teamates who has been a longtime mechanic. He said they used them a lot at the bus garage and they work great. JUST BE SURE TO GET THEM ON STRAIGHT!!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
At bowling last night I asked one of my teamates who has been a longtime mechanic. He said they used them a lot at the bus garage and they work great. JUST BE SURE TO GET THEM ON STRAIGHT!!!!!!!
That is the issue, they are thin and easy to damage. The way i have installed sleeves in the past was to use a piece of water pipe that slid over the axle with a square face to push the sleeve on with. Don't simply pound at it with a hammer or you will be going to get another.

OP
OP
dewadict

dewadict

That is the issue, they are thin and easy to damage. The way i have installed sleeves in the past was to use a piece of water pipe that slid over the axle with a square face to push the sleeve on with. Don't simply pound at it with a hammer or you will be going to get another.
Got the job done Sat. It was actuaaly a very easy fix. It took me more time to make the right "tool" to install it than to do the job. I used a piece of PVC with a joining collar. The redi sleeve fit perfectly in side the collar with just a little play. It was easy to tap the sleeve into place and I could slide back the pipe to check the depth and straightness. It fits so perfectly that you would think it's part of the axle. I was nervous about putting on this $50 thin piece of metal, but it's all good and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tazza

Staff member
Got the job done Sat. It was actuaaly a very easy fix. It took me more time to make the right "tool" to install it than to do the job. I used a piece of PVC with a joining collar. The redi sleeve fit perfectly in side the collar with just a little play. It was easy to tap the sleeve into place and I could slide back the pipe to check the depth and straightness. It fits so perfectly that you would think it's part of the axle. I was nervous about putting on this $50 thin piece of metal, but it's all good and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Excellent news, glad you got it all sorted out. Even better that you didn't have any issues installing the sleeve.