First time poster; my S175 won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Siregor

I am a first time poster to this site. I have followed it for number of years and, thru other postings, have been able to solve problems with my previous and current Bobcat (S175). But, now I have a problem that I can't seem to solve and am asking for help.

About 3 weeks ago, I used "Norm" to move some snow. I keep it in my heated shop. Two days ago, I was going to move some snow again. When I attempted to start it, I let it go thru the countdown for the glow plug. When I turned the key to the Start position, I heard a click from the engine area and then nothing. The starter did not engage. Additionally, with the key still in the ON position after the attempt, I noticed that all the lights one the instrument panel (lights for the fuel gauge, hour meter, etc.) were OFF. Without turning the key to the OFF psostion, I attempted to start it again. Nothing happened (no click from the engine area). The only thing I heard was a slight "click" from the fuse/relay box under the seat.

When I turnedthe key OFF and then back ON, the lights aall came on, it went thru the glow plug countdown and once again, when I turned the key to the Start position, there was the same Click from the engine area, the lights on the isnrument panel when OFF and when, without turning the key to the OFF position, I could hear the click from the fuse/relay box.

I am at a loss. I have removed the batter, cleaned the terminals and cables, confirmed that I have at least 12.7 volts on the battery and removed and cleaned the ground cable going to the solenoid.

Any thoughts. ???

brdgbldr

You should load test the battery. Just because you have voltage doesn't mean that you have enough cold cranking amps to start the machine. Most auto parts stores will do this test for free. Just keep in mind that it is warmer inside where they test the battery, this will give you a better reading then outside in the cold.

Your battery may have enough power at first but when you try to power the starter it depletes it. This may make the computer think that the power has been turned off and thus turns off the panels. By turning the key off and then back on, the computer resets to start the machine again.

You could have a bad relay. Try swapping your relays to check.

But my money is on a weak battery. Have you tried to jump start it? Make sure you use the proper jump start procedure for your machine.

foton

well volts are ok , but really you need to load test the battery, amps make the starter work. some stores like auto zone ,oriellys ,advance auto parts have load testers, but the will want to sell you a battery. harbor freight sells a load tester so you can do it yourself now and in the future.

OP
OP
S

Siregor

Thanks for the comments. I kind of forgot to mention that I did a load test on the battery. It tests good. But, I am going to put a different battery in, just to make sure. Will let you know after this test. BTW. After I looked at it this PM, I tapped the starter ane the solenoid with a hammer. Hit the key switch and it started. Turned if off cause it was in the garage. Went and opened the garage door, returned to try and start it and back to the same problem. Tapped starter/solenoid again and no start. As I said, tomorrow, I will try a different battery.

foton

replace the starter, After what you have written I would say battery is fine, starter has a issue, but check cables at starter make sure all is good there.

brdgbldr

Thanks for the comments. I kind of forgot to mention that I did a load test on the battery. It tests good. But, I am going to put a different battery in, just to make sure. Will let you know after this test. BTW. After I looked at it this PM, I tapped the starter ane the solenoid with a hammer. Hit the key switch and it started. Turned if off cause it was in the garage. Went and opened the garage door, returned to try and start it and back to the same problem. Tapped starter/solenoid again and no start. As I said, tomorrow, I will try a different battery.
That could be the starter solenoid gone bad. Some solenoids are rebuildable so you may not need a whole new starter. They get old and stick, thus the hammer trick working.

Make sure you have the properly rated battery for your machine.
Your battery should be rated 650 CCA at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

OP
OP
S

Siregor

Yesterday, I took a "starter button" and jumpered across the hot terminal on the solenoid and ground. I could hear the starter mechanism spin. It did not engage but my "starter button mechanism" only had 12 gauge wire so it likely wasn't enough current to engage the starter. As I mentioned earlier, later today, I will be installing a new battery to ensure that it isn't the issue. The batter is rated at 650 CCA. After my testing, I will update my progress. Thanks again for all of your help.

OP
OP
S

Siregor

OK. I have had success!!! I was really confused why the lights on the dash would go off after attempting to start engine. After studying the wiring diagram and based on the suggestion of support members, I thought that may be the relay was tripping out when I hit the key causing the dash lights to go out and then resetting when I turned the key to the OFF position. So, as suggested, I swapped out the starter relay and whamo! it started right up. What I think was happening is that a portion of the relay was tripping out, causing the lights on the dash to go out and preventing current to the starter. I want to thank those that helped and commented on my problem. Very helpful.

reaperman

Relays are funny, they can work intermittently unlike a fuse. They've frustrated many over the years trying to pinpoint troubles. Im glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix. I was once told Bosch relays are the best available.