First time buyer.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

shane12345

Hey guys.

Looking to buy a used skid steer, have never owned one before. Looking to use it to push dirt around to to extend my backyard, where I have cleared a bunch of trees under 3 inch. I will be bringing fill in as well to level it off with my existing yard. It will likely also be used to plow the driveway in the winter.

In a few hours drive around where I live, there is not a large selection of used skidsteers in the price range I am aiming for, which is $12,500 cad.

I made a post yesterday, with the skidsteers I am looking at, looking for pros and cons to each, and if the prices were decent, however it appears to have been deleted. There was some Thomas T133s, a bobcat 7753, and this john deere 575.

I am looking on your guys opinions on this machine, and if it is worth the price, what to look for ect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-150222_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150222_Kijiji.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20220623-150226_Kijiji.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150226_Kijiji.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220607_181535.jpg
    20220607_181535.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 105

foton

one thing that I would look for is remotes , not that you need a high flow machine but one that can power a grapple bucket they are so useful. And with that you would need a machine that has a quick attach system. I assume that little deere has neither.

OP
OP
S

shane12345

one thing that I would look for is remotes , not that you need a high flow machine but one that can power a grapple bucket they are so useful. And with that you would need a machine that has a quick attach system. I assume that little deere has neither.
Yeah, this doesnt have aux hydraulics or anything. What you see is what you get.

JakeK

I've owned John Deere, Thomas, Caterpillar and multiple Bobcats from 1980's to my current 2016. They all have pros and cons. if It's a short term machine to push around some dirt, gravel and basic landscaping and sell again then a basic machine isn't a big deal however a quick attach is something you shouldn't do without. if you plan on a longer term machine then get one with auxiliary hydraulics. When buying any used machine you need to test drive it till all systems are up to operating temps and then give it a little work. Lift full buckets, push some decent piles and make sure all the functions operate smooth, evenly and don't lack power. Watch you joints and look for play in pins. A used machine will have some but shouldn't bounce around. periodically look at the exhaust as it's warming up and at full operating temperature and what colour is coming out of the exhaust when it's being worked. Black under load is normal. Blue exhaust indicates oil burning, white coolant - either of these just walk away. once you're done your test drive look everything over again and check for any signs of leakage. main thing is to find a machine that feels comfortable to you, operates correctly and meets your price range.

OP
OP
S

shane12345

I've owned John Deere, Thomas, Caterpillar and multiple Bobcats from 1980's to my current 2016. They all have pros and cons. if It's a short term machine to push around some dirt, gravel and basic landscaping and sell again then a basic machine isn't a big deal however a quick attach is something you shouldn't do without. if you plan on a longer term machine then get one with auxiliary hydraulics. When buying any used machine you need to test drive it till all systems are up to operating temps and then give it a little work. Lift full buckets, push some decent piles and make sure all the functions operate smooth, evenly and don't lack power. Watch you joints and look for play in pins. A used machine will have some but shouldn't bounce around. periodically look at the exhaust as it's warming up and at full operating temperature and what colour is coming out of the exhaust when it's being worked. Black under load is normal. Blue exhaust indicates oil burning, white coolant - either of these just walk away. once you're done your test drive look everything over again and check for any signs of leakage. main thing is to find a machine that feels comfortable to you, operates correctly and meets your price range.
Thanks for the reply! The machine will soley be used for pushing dirt around. The only machines I have found in the area with aux hyrdo is a Bobcat 7753 for $13500 and a Thomas T133 for $8500.

ghs57

I own a Thomas T-133 and a bobcat S175. The 133 was my first buy. I knew nothing, and boy that has cost me plenty. Bargain prices are not necessarily a bargain in the long run (pay now, or pay later when something wears out or breaks and it's your problem to get it up and running again). That's not to say it's not a good machine, but educate yourself before buying. Know what to look for when inspecting and testing it. I wouldn't buy another Thomas unless it has a universal attachment mount (not the Thomas quick-tach mount-difficult to find attachments with that configuration-just went through that when I needed a new dirt bucket). Plus the Thomas is a noisy old machine.

I would opt for a reasonably well maintained machine (records would be a plus-don't take anyone's word on face value-they may not lie but also may not disclose everything without proper questioning). And it may cost you more than you're planning on. If it's a good machine, it will pay you back when you sell it.

mrbb

another thing to consider is, older machine say 20+ yrs old, are starting to be hard to get replacement parts for, all the more so the less popular model
so, sticking to more popular models and or modern machines, might save you problems in the repairs as they happen!

ghs57

another thing to consider is, older machine say 20+ yrs old, are starting to be hard to get replacement parts for, all the more so the less popular model
so, sticking to more popular models and or modern machines, might save you problems in the repairs as they happen!
I agree. That's one reason I bought a machine from a mainstream manufacturer, with a good parts catalog and many aftermarket options. I will add that Thomas parts are also readily available through some dealers (I used to be able to order direct, but they stopped that-and the parts guys were always helpful on the phone) and kubota engine parts are pretty easy to find too (V1902 etc).