Firewood Processor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Well after looking at Fyrwood Guy Cord King processor and a week or two of scratching my head and searchin everywhere I think have found a way to turn a 8' slasher into a firewood processor, without destoying its ablity to slash trees into 8'
Fyr was also good enough to give me a hour of his time covering the good and the areas that could use improvements, of his system.
I'm going to borrow his pics to from this thread http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=21874 to show the simularities and differences.
bumpinknots001.jpg

FORSPLIT053.jpg

woodsplitterpics004.jpg

Bellow is what I have
DigitalCamera2008834.jpg picture by beyondupnorth
IMG_0982.jpg Rear view picture by beyondupnorth
IMG_0981.jpg picture by beyondupnorth
DigitalCamera2008836.jpg picture by beyondupnorth
IMG_0992.jpg picture by beyondupnorth
In my case I'd be puting a second hitchfor the slashers on the right rear outrigger of the loader (as opposed to have the slasher trailer centered behind the truck) The tree length wood could still be fead from the rear (as it is when slashing 8') but would need a converyor to advance it in small increments, the length of a block of firewood. Then a stop, to get the length right.
The cross member in the slasher, forward of the saw, would need to be made as a bolt in, so it can be removed to allow the blocks to drop into the spitter. The slasher would have to be lifted (with the loader boom) at the rear and set on drop legs to allow the splitter to fit underneath the rear of the slasher trailer. The splitter would shove the blocks forward to the center of the slasher where they could start up a conveyor and continue forward up along the passengers side ( except for you cross the pond guys, then its the driver side ;) Allowing room for the outfeed conveyor is the reason to offset the slasher hitch to the rh outrigger.
The power unit has 150 hp, with 4 vane pump sectons, 2 putting out about 40 gpm each, and 2 somewhere in the 20 gpm range. (I'd have to flow test these to decide on hydraulic motor selection for the converors.
Also when putting the saw arm down to cut the block, the block stop needs to retract so it does not pinch the saw, a clamp need to come down to secure the log in position, I'm hoping this could all be acomplished by the saw valve, If it could somehow be set up to put say 1000 psi to the clamp and block stop retract b4 the saw arm would get any flow to move. I need to look into that and see if such a valve available. Then the splitter would also need to cycle, as well. Which I have a extra manual valve in the cab to divert one 20 gpm flow, but it would be better if it was a larger pump going here I think.
Presently the loader supplies one 39 gpm (at 1500 engine rpm) section to the slasher, about 1/5 of this (10.5 gpm) was already split off with a flow devider in the slasher and goes through a 3 section electric over hydraulic valve to control the slasher 3 cylinders. The rest goes to run the saw.
I can also divert the flow from one 22 gpm pump (the loader swing pump I believe) through a 2 way manual valve in the cab of the loader. This could be used to run the infeed conveyer intermitantly, but the loader swing would have to share that circuit. The outfeed conveyor may need its own power supply, if the loader is going to be able to run at the same time as the processor.
For those of you still with me, this setup would have the advantage of being able to load itself and process. It would replace a dedicated machine worth somewhere near 100 grand.
What are your thoughs?
Ken

jerry

If that 200 Serco is from the mid-80's or so I machined parts of the main boom, and the axle of your slasher is still straight, most I've seen are bowlegged from a hard life. The loader looks well cared for also. There are a bunch of processor videos on u tube also.

jerry

If that 200 Serco is from the mid-80's or so I machined parts of the main boom, and the axle of your slasher is still straight, most I've seen are bowlegged from a hard life. The loader looks well cared for also. There are a bunch of processor videos on u tube also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGI5ooMN-oQ Ken is this processor for a bobcat basically what you are thinking of as far as the saw/splitter set-up? I didn't even know Hahn was building these things and they are right here in town. There is a video of a machine using a slasher type saw but it has no splitter on it. Sawing what looks like good size black ash I don't think any splitter could keep up with it. What do they use for a length stop? On the Hahn one you can see the drive roller that brings the log forward and also serves as a holddown I think, but it is just short wood so it might not drag a full tree length. Yours is a good idea and the slasher could be disengaged from the splitter/conveyor and used as a slasher too. With all that hydraulic flow you could have a really fast moving splitter cylinder too. Interesting idea

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGI5ooMN-oQ Ken is this processor for a bobcat basically what you are thinking of as far as the saw/splitter set-up? I didn't even know Hahn was building these things and they are right here in town. There is a video of a machine using a slasher type saw but it has no splitter on it. Sawing what looks like good size black ash I don't think any splitter could keep up with it. What do they use for a length stop? On the Hahn one you can see the drive roller that brings the log forward and also serves as a holddown I think, but it is just short wood so it might not drag a full tree length. Yours is a good idea and the slasher could be disengaged from the splitter/conveyor and used as a slasher too. With all that hydraulic flow you could have a really fast moving splitter cylinder too. Interesting idea
Jerry
To my knowledge this is about an 86 model. It has a 3208 Cat, 150 hp, with twin funk and 2 tandem vickers vane pumps. It came with a Serco 1/2 cord bypass grapple, but we replaced that with a 4/10 Rotobec.
It is plumbed down through the manifold to run the slasher and loader off 3 two section valves in the cab. It also has another single section 2 way valve up beside the seat on the right , that we use to put oil to the slasher saw. The Sirro is electric over hydraulic so I don't use the center stick except for to lift the tongue of the slasher to move.
One large section goes through a flow devider in the slasher to split oil off for the electric valves and I can divert swing pump through the two section center joystick. I figure I can run the saw arm and infeed conveyor through the center joystick. That leave the oil to the Electric valve available to run the out feed conveyor.
I just need to find a valve that will take the saw motor flow and cycle the splitter cylinder then return to the saw. Something either electric or pilot controled. Kinda have the mechaincs sorted out if I can get the hydraulics figured now. Also looking for some suitable chain for the infeed trough as it will have to be a little on the heavy side to take the abuse of full tree and that clam from time to time.
I put it in the shop tonight to warm it up and hope to flow test my pumps in the morning so I can make a educated guess on motor and cylinder selection.
The splitter idea is simualr on the skidsteer unit. They really should have had their logs organized b4 filming that. Many of these processors are using a 5 inch ram, its going to take some serious oil flow to make that cycle in 5 or 6 seconds
As for the length stop it is just a mechanical stop, unbolt to adjust, but it has a short cylinder on it that retracts for the cut so the saw does not pinch
I have spent alot of time on youtube looking things over and figue I can pull this off for 10k in materials. And within a hour it can be back slashing and loading if need be. We have not harvested ourselves for the past two winters. But with this I can still off load trees from anyones truck.
All the comercial processor units are two big of an investment to see if this flys in my area imo. And I have 3/4 of the machine sitting idle anyway.
Did you just work in the machine shop or did you have something to do with these from start to finish. I'd like to know a bit more about them and have always wanted to stop by Two Harbours, but never made yet.
She is not the fastest old loader but those twin 6" lift cylinders will hoist a mean load. That short 5 stick Popular around here you can heel a whole clam full.
Thanks for your interest.
Ken

fyrwoodguy

Jerry
To my knowledge this is about an 86 model. It has a 3208 Cat, 150 hp, with twin funk and 2 tandem vickers vane pumps. It came with a Serco 1/2 cord bypass grapple, but we replaced that with a 4/10 Rotobec.
It is plumbed down through the manifold to run the slasher and loader off 3 two section valves in the cab. It also has another single section 2 way valve up beside the seat on the right , that we use to put oil to the slasher saw. The Sirro is electric over hydraulic so I don't use the center stick except for to lift the tongue of the slasher to move.
One large section goes through a flow devider in the slasher to split oil off for the electric valves and I can divert swing pump through the two section center joystick. I figure I can run the saw arm and infeed conveyor through the center joystick. That leave the oil to the Electric valve available to run the out feed conveyor.
I just need to find a valve that will take the saw motor flow and cycle the splitter cylinder then return to the saw. Something either electric or pilot controled. Kinda have the mechaincs sorted out if I can get the hydraulics figured now. Also looking for some suitable chain for the infeed trough as it will have to be a little on the heavy side to take the abuse of full tree and that clam from time to time.
I put it in the shop tonight to warm it up and hope to flow test my pumps in the morning so I can make a educated guess on motor and cylinder selection.
The splitter idea is simualr on the skidsteer unit. They really should have had their logs organized b4 filming that. Many of these processors are using a 5 inch ram, its going to take some serious oil flow to make that cycle in 5 or 6 seconds
As for the length stop it is just a mechanical stop, unbolt to adjust, but it has a short cylinder on it that retracts for the cut so the saw does not pinch
I have spent alot of time on youtube looking things over and figue I can pull this off for 10k in materials. And within a hour it can be back slashing and loading if need be. We have not harvested ourselves for the past two winters. But with this I can still off load trees from anyones truck.
All the comercial processor units are two big of an investment to see if this flys in my area imo. And I have 3/4 of the machine sitting idle anyway.
Did you just work in the machine shop or did you have something to do with these from start to finish. I'd like to know a bit more about them and have always wanted to stop by Two Harbours, but never made yet.
She is not the fastest old loader but those twin 6" lift cylinders will hoist a mean load. That short 5 stick Popular around here you can heel a whole clam full.
Thanks for your interest.
Ken
you got some good ideas for your idle iron,and i'm looking forward to the pic's you'll be posting (hopefully) of your progress.it will help with the design from the members here who wanna help you.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS057-2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS058.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS060.jpg
this is a pic uploading trial for me, i sure would like to get the pic's to show up on the post. WHAT AM I DOIN' WRONG???

Idoitall

you got some good ideas for your idle iron,and i'm looking forward to the pic's you'll be posting (hopefully) of your progress.it will help with the design from the members here who wanna help you.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS057-2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS058.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/CHECKPHOTOS060.jpg
this is a pic uploading trial for me, i sure would like to get the pic's to show up on the post. WHAT AM I DOIN' WRONG???
Your links are working well, but I'll let one of the mod's better explain getting the images inside the post. It's much easier if you have them stored here in the Media folders.

I use Photobucket too and like it OK. It's a great place to store your photo BACKUPS for free. One thing that you need to know and do though. If you link an image, to a forum for example, then later move or delete the image in PB, it breaks the link and the image will not be viewable in the forum. What I did was make a folder named Linked Images, then I put any linked images into that folder to remind me why they are there.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Your links are working well, but I'll let one of the mod's better explain getting the images inside the post. It's much easier if you have them stored here in the Media folders.

I use Photobucket too and like it OK. It's a great place to store your photo BACKUPS for free. One thing that you need to know and do though. If you link an image, to a forum for example, then later move or delete the image in PB, it breaks the link and the image will not be viewable in the forum. What I did was make a folder named Linked Images, then I put any linked images into that folder to remind me why they are there.
CHECKPHOTOS057-2.jpg

CHECKPHOTOS060.jpg

CHECKPHOTOS058.jpg

Fyr, your real close on getting the pics up. Just open the picture in photobucket, in its largest size is best, the put the cursor on the actual photo and right click, select copy, of the photo and "paste" it into the typing window at skidsteerforum. You have the links down I see.
I could use some shaft diameter and sprocket ratios, roller chian size etc for the infeed conveyor. I'm going to have to build that part, and have yet to see one in person. Also I can't read that motor lable. You can email pics directly to me if thats easier. Trying to figure out how much power the infeed needs.
Thanks for the pics
Ken

jerry

Fyr, your real close on getting the pics up. Just open the picture in photobucket, in its largest size is best, the put the cursor on the actual photo and right click, select copy, of the photo and "paste" it into the typing window at skidsteerforum. You have the links down I see.
I could use some shaft diameter and sprocket ratios, roller chian size etc for the infeed conveyor. I'm going to have to build that part, and have yet to see one in person. Also I can't read that motor lable. You can email pics directly to me if thats easier. Trying to figure out how much power the infeed needs.
Thanks for the pics
Ken
I never did get back to you Ken, I only worked in the machine shop ,no assembly on the machines. The one thing I think you should incorporate into your machine is a grate or screen to get rid of debris after the splitter. A lot of customers are lost because of too much debris in cut and split wood. I got one 5 cord load a few years ago with a half a pickup full of trash in it and that was it for me.

fyrwoodguy

I never did get back to you Ken, I only worked in the machine shop ,no assembly on the machines. The one thing I think you should incorporate into your machine is a grate or screen to get rid of debris after the splitter. A lot of customers are lost because of too much debris in cut and split wood. I got one 5 cord load a few years ago with a half a pickup full of trash in it and that was it for me.
hi ken, it's been a long time since we talked about firewood processor's. this past year or so sure has been a poor one for me in these economic conditions.....but the price for tree length has dropped back to normal.....anyways , how's your processor comming? got any pic's?

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

hi ken, it's been a long time since we talked about firewood processor's. this past year or so sure has been a poor one for me in these economic conditions.....but the price for tree length has dropped back to normal.....anyways , how's your processor comming? got any pic's?
Well you know how projects go. This is still in the planning stage I'm afraid. After I got this thread started last year I ended up taking a 1800 cord slash and haul job that took care of the rest of the winter. Summer is busy with the skidsteer business which brings me to now.
I have been looking for a old processor head or delimber feed rollers to bring the wood to the saw. One of the best looking homemade systems I have seen uses the feed roller on top and a chain below. Have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtq3yJAj2w
Man they have that hyd chainsaw cutting. Been trying to catch up with that fellow for a few questions too. I'm thinking there is alot right about this unit, but I still want to cut tree length and run it from the loader cab. The odd block that falls wrong, like the last cut I'd need a way of fixing it from the cab
I know the carbide circular saw is way better but would like to know more about his splitter arrangement.
On yours do you know if the pump that runs the saw is diverted to the splitter cylinder? My saw will cut 20 stems at once, but then needs 20 to 30 seconds get back to 1500 rpm, but with one stem at a time I'd think I could rob the flow for the spitter cylinder too and still be able to recover the rpm
Still figure I'd have to be able to produce 3 to 4 cords a hour to make it pay.
Jerry
That sounds like a lot of splinters for 5 cords. What species was it and how fine was it split?
I have seen a couple methods to reduce them. A conveyor with a couple belts, and the gap between let the fines fall but the split would carry across it. The other is a tumbling screener, but much more elaborate.
Ken

jerry

Well you know how projects go. This is still in the planning stage I'm afraid. After I got this thread started last year I ended up taking a 1800 cord slash and haul job that took care of the rest of the winter. Summer is busy with the skidsteer business which brings me to now.
I have been looking for a old processor head or delimber feed rollers to bring the wood to the saw. One of the best looking homemade systems I have seen uses the feed roller on top and a chain below. Have a look.
Man they have that hyd chainsaw cutting. Been trying to catch up with that fellow for a few questions too. I'm thinking there is alot right about this unit, but I still want to cut tree length and run it from the loader cab. The odd block that falls wrong, like the last cut I'd need a way of fixing it from the cab
I know the carbide circular saw is way better but would like to know more about his splitter arrangement.
On yours do you know if the pump that runs the saw is diverted to the splitter cylinder? My saw will cut 20 stems at once, but then needs 20 to 30 seconds get back to 1500 rpm, but with one stem at a time I'd think I could rob the flow for the spitter cylinder too and still be able to recover the rpm
Jerry
That sounds like a lot of splinters for 5 cords. What species was it and how fine was it split?
I have seen a couple methods to reduce them. A conveyor with a couple belts, and the gap between let the fines fall but the split would carry across it. The other is a tumbling screener, but much more elaborate.
Ken
Ken, that load was mixed birch and maple. I have not seen the machine that guy uses but it was bark and just general debris and dirt. It was split no smaller than 4 pieces from a 10" round. When i split maple and ash at home I do end up with a bucket or so of trash but nothing like that. That is a impressive chain saw on that machine. Would the hyd stop be necessary? what kind of wood is that they are cutting ? I think most people expect some bark and splinters in the wood but the dirt and sawdust should come out if the wood goes across some kind of a grate maybe have the splitter push it across a piece of gravel screen before it falls on the conveyor.

fyrwoodguy

Jerry
Ken
aint the wood business a fun roller coaster ride !
that chainsaw sure is the fastest i've seen to date. i just passed 1000 cords 16" wood not sharpen yet.
the saw circut on my machine is dedicated, but if the drop rate is too fast its like yours to recover. about 5-10 seconds
fast for small diameter wood-slow for big diameter 20"-24"
big diameter wood on my rig takes 11-12 min per cord.i would think yours would be like mine on small wood 1 hr per cord.
i advertise free kindling with my wood.
william

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

aint the wood business a fun roller coaster ride !
that chainsaw sure is the fastest i've seen to date. i just passed 1000 cords 16" wood not sharpen yet.
the saw circut on my machine is dedicated, but if the drop rate is too fast its like yours to recover. about 5-10 seconds
fast for small diameter wood-slow for big diameter 20"-24"
big diameter wood on my rig takes 11-12 min per cord.i would think yours would be like mine on small wood 1 hr per cord.
i advertise free kindling with my wood.
william
This saw is pretty fast too. http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/...der Slasher/?action=view&current=MVI_1021.flv
Shoud have had my wife wait a few minutes until I wound it up to 2100, its running at 1500 rpm in the vid, still warming up and the oil was stiff. (note the empty trailer I'm loading)
Its not real fast machine, some guys can slash and load in a hour, but a hour and 30 to 45 minutes I have 22 cords on.
Ken
IMG_1030.jpg 22 cords on Tractor Trailer picture by beyondupnorth

IMG_1033.jpg TL Wood pile picture by beyondupnorth

fyrwoodguy

This saw is pretty fast too. http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/beyondupnorth/Serco%20Loader%20Slasher/?action=view&current=MVI_1021.flv
Shoud have had my wife wait a few minutes until I wound it up to 2100, its running at 1500 rpm in the vid, still warming up and the oil was stiff. (note the empty trailer I'm loading)
Its not real fast machine, some guys can slash and load in a hour, but a hour and 30 to 45 minutes I have 22 cords on.
Ken
had trouble with video....it said " cannot view format"
nice load of pulp though!
william

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

video worked for me though. Is that a siiro slasher? Thats a lot of tires to keep air in on the truck.
Yes that a Siiro from Hancock Fabrication.
Yes filling 28 tires could wear out a shop compressor, and filling air suspension keeps the truck busy too. Especially when you pick up the 2 lift axels, the 4 down bags defate, the 4 up bags inflate, also the rear tridem pressures jump from 65 to 90 psi and inflates to restore ride height.Then once you turn the corner you flip two air switches and the entire process begins to reverse.
Ken