Exhaust scrubber

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

140mower

Hello all, it's been awhile since I last posted, but I do drop in from time to time and lurk about. Any-hoo, here's my conflict of the day; I've got a job coming up and have to install a scrubber which has been supplied, but no instruction was given on installation. Can they be installed before the muffler or must they be after? I have an extra muffler and tail pipe that I can modify if necessary, but there isn't much in the way of space back there. It's a 2006 430 excavator I'm trying to fit this to and appreciate any incite on the subject. Thanks, Don

Tazza

Staff member
I may be wrong, but i always thought they had to be before as this is where the exhaust gas is hot enough to heat up the scrubber.
Hopefully someone that knows better can give your more detail.
I was told if they were too close to the engine they get too hot and burn out, too far and they don't get hot enough...... So just how close is right?

mrdeere1959

I may be wrong, but i always thought they had to be before as this is where the exhaust gas is hot enough to heat up the scrubber.
Hopefully someone that knows better can give your more detail.
I was told if they were too close to the engine they get too hot and burn out, too far and they don't get hot enough...... So just how close is right?
bobcat offers a purifier muffler 6816047 for $ 926.24 it replaces the regular muffler

OP
OP

140mower

bobcat offers a purifier muffler 6816047 for $ 926.24 it replaces the regular muffler
Thanks for the replies thus far guys. I tried my dealer the last time this job came up and they were very reluctant to bring one in and the cost was much higher there, I don't recall the exact number, but something in the $3000.00 range rings a bell, not to mention they wanted a couple months lead time, which I don't have. Due to too many variables I turned the job down last time, but this time things are more in line with what I'm willing to do for money and the risks are much lower, so I kinda want to try it this time. I'll be working inside a tunnel, cleaning out the rock trap just ahead of the turbine in a power generating station, one of those places a guy doesn't get to everyday. The fact that it's on one of B.C.'s greatest gold bearing creeks also tends to ispire my desire.
emotion-4.gif
Wish I knew what the stuff looks like in it's natural habitat though.
emotion-11.gif

This time around the fellow in charge dropped off a scrubber that I'm to install, he said last time they just stuck it on the tailpipe and left it hanging out there, I'm not sure I like that idea. I think if I replace the header pipe off the manifold with a custom bent one I should be able to fit it before the muffler, I might have to remove then replace the isulation on the rear door, but I'm ok with that as a pack rat started the job a couple years ago.(sadly he died of lead poisoning before he completed the task) I'm not near as concerned about burning out their scrubber as I am damaging my machine, but in a perfect world neither will happen.
Thanks again guys,
Don

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies thus far guys. I tried my dealer the last time this job came up and they were very reluctant to bring one in and the cost was much higher there, I don't recall the exact number, but something in the $3000.00 range rings a bell, not to mention they wanted a couple months lead time, which I don't have. Due to too many variables I turned the job down last time, but this time things are more in line with what I'm willing to do for money and the risks are much lower, so I kinda want to try it this time. I'll be working inside a tunnel, cleaning out the rock trap just ahead of the turbine in a power generating station, one of those places a guy doesn't get to everyday. The fact that it's on one of B.C.'s greatest gold bearing creeks also tends to ispire my desire. Wish I knew what the stuff looks like in it's natural habitat though.
This time around the fellow in charge dropped off a scrubber that I'm to install, he said last time they just stuck it on the tailpipe and left it hanging out there, I'm not sure I like that idea. I think if I replace the header pipe off the manifold with a custom bent one I should be able to fit it before the muffler, I might have to remove then replace the isulation on the rear door, but I'm ok with that as a pack rat started the job a couple years ago.(sadly he died of lead poisoning before he completed the task) I'm not near as concerned about burning out their scrubber as I am damaging my machine, but in a perfect world neither will happen.
Thanks again guys,
Don
Which ever way you go, please take piccies. I want to see how this all works, i too wouldn't be happy hanging it off the end of the muffler, not sure it would get hot enough to do the job....

mrdeere1959

Which ever way you go, please take piccies. I want to see how this all works, i too wouldn't be happy hanging it off the end of the muffler, not sure it would get hot enough to do the job....
the part is in stock at bobcat it weighs 20lbs. it could be had over night if yiu are willing to pay and have it dropped shipped to you

OP
OP

140mower

PICT0189

PICT0188

PICT0183

Well I got it installed, and so far so good, the air quality tests every half hour show no change through-out the day and I can't even smell any exhaust at all. I must say I'm impressed how well such a little thing changes the emissions out of the tail pipe.
All said I've got under a hundred bucks into it and it'll only take a half hour or so to put the original piece back in when this job is done. 'Course the best part was it took almost everything in my little home machine shop to make it, a little tinkering in the shop always makes for a good day for me.
Don

Fishfiles

Well I got it installed, and so far so good, the air quality tests every half hour show no change through-out the day and I can't even smell any exhaust at all. I must say I'm impressed how well such a little thing changes the emissions out of the tail pipe.
All said I've got under a hundred bucks into it and it'll only take a half hour or so to put the original piece back in when this job is done. 'Course the best part was it took almost everything in my little home machine shop to make it, a little tinkering in the shop always makes for a good day for me.
Don
nice job ------------ I have a Donaldson dealer in my area and I can get it for around $350 ------------- wonder if you are going to have to walk thru a metal detector on the way out the job site , hope you get a few nuggets

melli

Don
That is way cool! Did a little googling...removes a heap of stuff. Byproduct is water...do you get a lot draining out? How long is the scrubber supposed to last? Clean machine. How did the other guy get lead poisoning...be safe. I know I am shortening my life on my machine...although I hate windy days, I appreciate them while working in Bobby. I'd pop one of those on if they weren't so expensive and there no chance of harming my Kubota...

Zorack

Don
Nice pics and that looks great on that excavator,you did a great job :)

Tazza

Staff member
I also just noticed that you got that for under $100,so you did really great with that as well,thumbs up!
It would be interesting to see how long they last. I know the cats on cars last a long time, i guess there is no reason why it would be shorter for a diesel.