Error Codes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JDWY

Machine is running fine, but suddenly I'm getting Error codes on the display. 250F, then 230F, and 234F. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, hooked it back up and that's when I started getting the 250F code. I had a broken work light lens (front), took off the old one to take up to CaseNH, installed the new one (it works) and the code deal started after I removed the old light assembly. I can't see that having anything to do with the sudden code problem. Anyone have a clue? It is a 2010 L185 with the Fiat diesel.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

I should add I'm getting the warning chime every couple seconds with the codes.

Mike10

I should add I'm getting the warning chime every couple seconds with the codes.
Looks more like a temperature warning. Are any of the temperature bar graphs all the way to the top? The only other possibility is EGR faults but I can not find any information on those. The dealer will need to connect there computer to the machine to check.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Looks more like a temperature warning. Are any of the temperature bar graphs all the way to the top? The only other possibility is EGR faults but I can not find any information on those. The dealer will need to connect there computer to the machine to check.
Once again, thanks Mike, I appreciate your response. And no, the temp was OK, in fact the codes were showing when the engine hadn't really warmed up. Oil pressure and hydraulics are appear OK too. The confusing thing is the fact 3 or 4 codes would appear every few seconds. I found one on the internet and it was "Engine had exceeded max RPM" and there was no way that had happened. I'm going out later this morning and look for any disconnected wires at senders or whatever plus write down the exact codes.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Once again, thanks Mike, I appreciate your response. And no, the temp was OK, in fact the codes were showing when the engine hadn't really warmed up. Oil pressure and hydraulics are appear OK too. The confusing thing is the fact 3 or 4 codes would appear every few seconds. I found one on the internet and it was "Engine had exceeded max RPM" and there was no way that had happened. I'm going out later this morning and look for any disconnected wires at senders or whatever plus write down the exact codes.
OK, Mike, I had some time to devote to it this morning. Immediately on startup (cold engine) I AM showing full overheating bars on the temp gauge. It also showed codes from 250F to 238F. I pulled the connector off the thermostat-mounted temp sender, started it and no change which means nothing depending on the circuitry. I did not ground or jump any of the 3 sender wires for fear of damaging the computer or electronics. All the plugs and harnesses throughout the machine are in very good shape so chances are I would say it's the temp sender, what say you?

Mike10

OK, Mike, I had some time to devote to it this morning. Immediately on startup (cold engine) I AM showing full overheating bars on the temp gauge. It also showed codes from 250F to 238F. I pulled the connector off the thermostat-mounted temp sender, started it and no change which means nothing depending on the circuitry. I did not ground or jump any of the 3 sender wires for fear of damaging the computer or electronics. All the plugs and harnesses throughout the machine are in very good shape so chances are I would say it's the temp sender, what say you?
Remove the right fender and clean all the debris out. Search for a connector that is not connected. The connector end may be in a small plastic bag. The connector is for telematics which sends data about your machine to somewhere else if you have the the module. NH puts the connector end in a small plastic bag to keep it clean. The problem is the bag either deteriorates or because it is not sealed and water can enter the connector and in effect short out the senders so they read hot all the time. When you find the connector, I cannot remember how many terminals, I think three or four and it is flat, not square like the face plate connector in the same area. Remove it from the bag, blow out the terminals and dry the connector out, then tie the connector up as high as possible so it does not sit in the junk that accumulates in that area.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Remove the right fender and clean all the debris out. Search for a connector that is not connected. The connector end may be in a small plastic bag. The connector is for telematics which sends data about your machine to somewhere else if you have the the module. NH puts the connector end in a small plastic bag to keep it clean. The problem is the bag either deteriorates or because it is not sealed and water can enter the connector and in effect short out the senders so they read hot all the time. When you find the connector, I cannot remember how many terminals, I think three or four and it is flat, not square like the face plate connector in the same area. Remove it from the bag, blow out the terminals and dry the connector out, then tie the connector up as high as possible so it does not sit in the junk that accumulates in that area.
Great advice, thanks, never would have known to look there. By right panel, I assume you mean right hand side (battery side) if you're sitting in the driver's seat? If so, I just had that panel off a week ago to install a higher amp battery. I cleaned out by hand an accumulation of crud and dirt in that area and I may have disturbed the connector just enough to lose contact if it was already corroded. I'll check it out this afternoon.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Great advice, thanks, never would have known to look there. By right panel, I assume you mean right hand side (battery side) if you're sitting in the driver's seat? If so, I just had that panel off a week ago to install a higher amp battery. I cleaned out by hand an accumulation of crud and dirt in that area and I may have disturbed the connector just enough to lose contact if it was already corroded. I'll check it out this afternoon.
Spent most of the day checking connectors. Found one that looked suspicious, a 2 wire plug directly behind the engine, fairly corroded with a 5 amp fuse in the end of it. Cleaned the terminals, checked the fuse and it was OK. After checking others, finally located the exact plug you referred to. It was hidden behind hoses and another harness more forward than I'd have thought. It WAS somewhat corroded, I cleaned it up, blew it out and re-wrapped it. Figured I'd found the problem for sure, but as soon as I sat in the seat with the door still open I got the normal seat belt warning, hours on the machine, but the temp gauge showed full overheat bars before I even turned the key on. Bad part is, skid steers in my area are 99% Bobcat. I get my NH parts from the CaseIH/Kubota dealer 22 miles away, but I'd bet their mechanics have never seen a NH skid steer. Don't know if they'd be as lost at this point as me or not. I bought a shop manual over the internet last year but it's next to useless, don't know if it is counterfeit or not. My operator's manual has more useful information. Maybe down to the temp sending unit you think?

Mike10

Did you remove the fender over the wheels? The connector is towards the front of the cavity behind the fender. There are two temperature senders. The one you want is smaller than the other one. I think it takes a 9/16 wrench to remove. If the wire is removed from the sender and the telematics connector is not shorted, then the wire Is grounded somewhere else if the display still shows hot.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Did you remove the fender over the wheels? The connector is towards the front of the cavity behind the fender. There are two temperature senders. The one you want is smaller than the other one. I think it takes a 9/16 wrench to remove. If the wire is removed from the sender and the telematics connector is not shorted, then the wire Is grounded somewhere else if the display still shows hot.
Yes sir, I did remove the fender, I called it a panel in my above post. And yes, I did find and clean the connector. It was just like you said, poorly wrapped in clear wrap. Thanks for the info on the sensor. The only one I disconnected was the large one mounted on the thermostat housing, it would take about a 15/16" wrench. I will locate the smaller one tomorrow, disconnect it and see if that corrects the problem and let you know. Many thanks.

OP
OP
J

JDWY

Yes sir, I did remove the fender, I called it a panel in my above post. And yes, I did find and clean the connector. It was just like you said, poorly wrapped in clear wrap. Thanks for the info on the sensor. The only one I disconnected was the large one mounted on the thermostat housing, it would take about a 15/16" wrench. I will locate the smaller one tomorrow, disconnect it and see if that corrects the problem and let you know. Many thanks.
Thanks to you, Mike, problem solved. I can't say how much I appreciate all your help. Turns out the smaller temp sender is bad. The CaseIH dealer has one coming for me out of Portland, OR. If you're ever coming through Cody, WY I owe you a beer or 10. :)