Engine oil level increasing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MisterB

Hi, I just bought a 1997 Mustang 2060 skid loader to use building a house on our land here in N.E Kansas. It has a Isuzu 4JB1 diesel with about 3200 hrs. Did a little digging and played around some. Noticed oil pressure light coming on so I installed a gauge and pressure seemed ok. Around 60 to 70 pounds cold and about 40 lbs running. Light would come on around 30 lbs or less. Changed oil and filter and all was well until I started doing some serious digging. I noticed shortly after I changed the oil, maybe three or four hours running time, the oil level would increase on the dipstick and puke oil out of the breather. Changed oil again. I put in seven qts and drained eight after running for another seven or eight hours and puking more oil from breather. Oil pressure ran about 30 lbs hot but now warning light doesn't come on until I throttle down and gauge reads 20 lbs or less. I don't smell diesel in the oil but am wondering if I have an injector leaking or something wrong with the pump and it is causing the oil level to rise. I don't know if this engine has an electric or mechanical fuel pump. If it was mechanical I suppose the diaphragm could be leaking into the crankcase. I have a repair manual for the machine but it doesn't cover the engine. I can't seem to locate a repair manual for this engine. Tried ebay, etc. Hydraulics are working fine. Changed those filters too just to be on the safe side. Anyhow, any suggestions or comments would be highly appreciated. This is a pretty serious investment for a small time farmer/mechanic such as myself and I don't want to cause any damage. Thanks guys.

OldMachinist

There's only two fluids that should be able to get in the engine to make the oil level increase fuel and anti-freeze and you didn't say that the oil looked milky so I'd think fuel. This not a real scientific test but pull the dipstick out and see if the oil on it will light with a Bic lighter. Straight oil is hard to get burning this way but add a little fuel and it burns easy.

Fishfiles

There's only two fluids that should be able to get in the engine to make the oil level increase fuel and anti-freeze and you didn't say that the oil looked milky so I'd think fuel. This not a real scientific test but pull the dipstick out and see if the oil on it will light with a Bic lighter. Straight oil is hard to get burning this way but add a little fuel and it burns easy.
I would think the seal on the shaft of the injection pump or the fuel lift pump , if it were an injector tip blown off , I'd think you would be running bad and smoking which you didn't mention

OP
OP
M

MisterB

I would think the seal on the shaft of the injection pump or the fuel lift pump , if it were an injector tip blown off , I'd think you would be running bad and smoking which you didn't mention
I took an oil sample to the local Cat dealer. It was 40% fuel about 12 hrs after an oil change. So I'm thinking injector pump problems too since it runs pretty good except for some white smoke which just started recently. I'm hoping the smoke is caused by engine using more oil because it's so thin. Anyhow ordered an engine manual from Eagle Direct before I tear into it. I did move the radiator out of the way and removed an outer shield and then figured I'd wait for the manual before I did much more. The lift pump must be built into the injector pump because I don't see a pump anywhere else.

Tazza

Staff member
I took an oil sample to the local Cat dealer. It was 40% fuel about 12 hrs after an oil change. So I'm thinking injector pump problems too since it runs pretty good except for some white smoke which just started recently. I'm hoping the smoke is caused by engine using more oil because it's so thin. Anyhow ordered an engine manual from Eagle Direct before I tear into it. I did move the radiator out of the way and removed an outer shield and then figured I'd wait for the manual before I did much more. The lift pump must be built into the injector pump because I don't see a pump anywhere else.
I was about to say, you will find the lift pump may be part of the injector pump, the pug engines have this too, the problem is they are rather expensive......
I'd call your locak diesel shop and ask for a price on getting the lift pump replaced on your pump. The pump seems fine, jut the lift pump is leaking. Unless you want to get the pump re-done but i wouldn't if you have no power issues, saves a few $$.

Latest posts