Engine boggs down when trying to track

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
J

JohnB

Sorry for the delay, glad you found the valve clearance.
From the engine model you gave, that is a turbo charged one? the -T usually means turbo.
I'm wondering if the turbo isn't working properly. If it isn't, it would explain the problems. Less power, black smoke as there isn't enough air getting forced in.
Black smoke means there is heat to get ignition, but not enough air or bad spray pattern causing the fuel to not burn fully.
Yes it is turbo charged. How do you chech to see if working proper?

Tazza

Staff member
Yes it is turbo charged. How do you chech to see if working proper?
If you can remove the inlet air hose so you can feel the turbine. See if there is any movement or excessive amounts of oil. It should spin freely too.

OP
OP
J

JohnB

If you can remove the inlet air hose so you can feel the turbine. See if there is any movement or excessive amounts of oil. It should spin freely too.
I can feel the turbine. I can not turn it with me finger. Should it free spin?

OP
OP
J

JohnB

It should spin freely, soulds like a bearing has failed and it's locked up....
Yes, I think you are right. Would that explain the bog down problem when under a load and runs great with no load, even at 2500 rpm? I've pulled it and looking for kit or have it rebuilt. thanks,

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, I think you are right. Would that explain the bog down problem when under a load and runs great with no load, even at 2500 rpm? I've pulled it and looking for kit or have it rebuilt. thanks,
I would have thought it would smoke a bit even with no load, but as it is locked up, i'd still think it's the problem. It must be allowing just enough air to get past the compressor to the engine to keep it running, but when under load, there just isn't enough air to keep making power.
You should be able to spin it pretty easily. When running they sure do move fast, so they need to be free to spin. The main cause of destruction is when you run it hard and simply shut it down, it needs time to cool down or the oil burns up inside and damages the bearings/seals. Run it hard, but you need to let it sit at idle for a few minutes or at least drive it to the parking spot at a far reduced engine speed.

mike b

Did you get this
Don't think I am losing any engine oil, but will monitor. I think I will drain the fuel and put fresh. Do you recommend any type of fuel additive to help clean the injectors? thanks,
Did you get this issue figured out? I'm expirencing the same thing.