electric cooling fan

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

antfarmer2

Ya, I would only have room(4") from hydraulic oil cooler to water pump pulley, for one puller fan. I take it you found it on e-bay?
That should do it I was asking if you had room for two or if you had room on the outside to pull

Tazza

Staff member
Stop looking and buy and drive
Sorry, no idea on required CFM to cool it. I'd still try to go pretty high as with cars you generally have the force of the air being pushed in as you drive at speed to cool the radiator, a skid steer has high revs but doesn't move that way, so you need more flow.
I remember a member of the forum did this to his 743, it did work, but still got a bit warm, he even ran two fans from memory.
Go big and keep them running, don't put a temperature switch on it as you need to cool the oil cooler too, so you need constant air flow.

OP
OP
R

randy4354

Sorry, no idea on required CFM to cool it. I'd still try to go pretty high as with cars you generally have the force of the air being pushed in as you drive at speed to cool the radiator, a skid steer has high revs but doesn't move that way, so you need more flow.
I remember a member of the forum did this to his 743, it did work, but still got a bit warm, he even ran two fans from memory.
Go big and keep them running, don't put a temperature switch on it as you need to cool the oil cooler too, so you need constant air flow.
I e-mailed Gehl customer service yesterday with the same question. The rep responded with they experimented with a variety of combos and none could perform well enough. He also said the oil cooler requires a lot of air to cool like you said Tazza and if you moved the oil cooler to the roof of the skid that MIGHT work. That's way more work and cost than I'm willing to do. With that I will work to lift the rad to fit the stock fan back in place. Now I have another question. What temp should the hydraulic oil run at? Has anyone installed a oil temp gauge on their skid? Thx Randy

Tazza

Staff member
I e-mailed Gehl customer service yesterday with the same question. The rep responded with they experimented with a variety of combos and none could perform well enough. He also said the oil cooler requires a lot of air to cool like you said Tazza and if you moved the oil cooler to the roof of the skid that MIGHT work. That's way more work and cost than I'm willing to do. With that I will work to lift the rad to fit the stock fan back in place. Now I have another question. What temp should the hydraulic oil run at? Has anyone installed a oil temp gauge on their skid? Thx Randy
I don't know what it shoudl run at as there is no thermostat, but from memory they like to keep it under 70c? OM had some good details on this, hopefully he will see this post and giv his 2c.

frogfarmer

I don't know what it shoudl run at as there is no thermostat, but from memory they like to keep it under 70c? OM had some good details on this, hopefully he will see this post and giv his 2c.
Electric fan will work fine but needs to be as large as the Rad can accept and mounted directly to the Rad. Most electric fans and all I have delt with have their shrounds built to the fan. My New Holland skids have temp sensors for the Hyd oil that rarely if ever read over 150F. The temp sensors are not in the cooler but its a good reference.

OP
OP
R

randy4354

Electric fan will work fine but needs to be as large as the Rad can accept and mounted directly to the Rad. Most electric fans and all I have delt with have their shrounds built to the fan. My New Holland skids have temp sensors for the Hyd oil that rarely if ever read over 150F. The temp sensors are not in the cooler but its a good reference.
I did a little more searching and it seems you wouldn't want to be over 180 degrees F. I'm not sure yet which will be more work for , moving the rad or adding a electric. I'm going to add a oil temp gauge just not sure where the best to tie into the system? Thankyou guys for all the help. This skid sure seems to need a lot of TLC! Randy

SkidRoe

I did a little more searching and it seems you wouldn't want to be over 180 degrees F. I'm not sure yet which will be more work for , moving the rad or adding a electric. I'm going to add a oil temp gauge just not sure where the best to tie into the system? Thankyou guys for all the help. This skid sure seems to need a lot of TLC! Randy
From the previous posts, it sounds like you really don't have enough room for a shoud, and you do really need one to take advantage of the full area of your radiator. If you can put one in, even if it is only one inch deep, it will help. Ideally, 4 inches would be the best.
With the shroud, what you are trying to do is create an air settling volume, and balance out the air velocity across the entire radiator, and therefore, create even effective cooling across the entire surface of the radiator. The fan(s) is creating low pressure area behind the radiator, which tends to draw air across the entire area of the radiator.
Pusher fans are to be avoided, unless your radiator and fan are drastically over-sized or you have a very deep shroud. Typically, with a pusher fan, the only area of the radiator that is effective is the doughnut-shaped area swept out by the fan blades.
Mounting the fan(s) directly to the rad is not recommended in your application either, for basically the same reason as the pusher fans: poor radiator are utiliazation. You can get away with this in automotive applications, like antfarmer's vette, wher you have a 150mph wind blowing throuhg the radiator due to vehicle movement.
My $0.02. HTH

OP
OP
R

randy4354

From the previous posts, it sounds like you really don't have enough room for a shoud, and you do really need one to take advantage of the full area of your radiator. If you can put one in, even if it is only one inch deep, it will help. Ideally, 4 inches would be the best.
With the shroud, what you are trying to do is create an air settling volume, and balance out the air velocity across the entire radiator, and therefore, create even effective cooling across the entire surface of the radiator. The fan(s) is creating low pressure area behind the radiator, which tends to draw air across the entire area of the radiator.
Pusher fans are to be avoided, unless your radiator and fan are drastically over-sized or you have a very deep shroud. Typically, with a pusher fan, the only area of the radiator that is effective is the doughnut-shaped area swept out by the fan blades.
Mounting the fan(s) directly to the rad is not recommended in your application either, for basically the same reason as the pusher fans: poor radiator are utiliazation. You can get away with this in automotive applications, like antfarmer's vette, wher you have a 150mph wind blowing throuhg the radiator due to vehicle movement.
My $0.02. HTH
Hi SkidRoe thanks for the response. I like the idea of working with the shroud. When I get to remove the shroud, I'm going to do some tin work to reduce opening so to fit the current fan and see how it performs this summer.I hope this hope this works because the fellow I bought the skid from told me the fan from the Perkins engine will not bolt up to the new engine.