Earth Auger?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

I am thinking about buying an earth auger for general use. I would like to know what brand and model would be best and what style, and diameter of bit to use. I know there are many application variables and specialty's, but I just need a starting point. Flow is 15gpm and preasure is 3000psi. Thanks.

skidsteer.ca

I don't think that you would go wrong with any of the panetary style augers.
Most will follow a 12" bit down the hole to give you a extra foot of depth, which can be nice.
To me the main question should be how much torque does 3000 psi get me? and at what rpm will it run with my flow.
However a chain drive reduction box may be cheaper to repair if it breaks. Just a guess though, ave never priced the parts. my Bobcat 15c snapped the output shaft off, but it was still under warranty, its been good since, but I hope i never have to pay for that problem.
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

I don't think that you would go wrong with any of the panetary style augers.
Most will follow a 12" bit down the hole to give you a extra foot of depth, which can be nice.
To me the main question should be how much torque does 3000 psi get me? and at what rpm will it run with my flow.
However a chain drive reduction box may be cheaper to repair if it breaks. Just a guess though, ave never priced the parts. my Bobcat 15c snapped the output shaft off, but it was still under warranty, its been good since, but I hope i never have to pay for that problem.
Ken
Thanks for the reply Ken. I ordered my Bobcat 15c auger today and it will be delivered this afternoon. I am getting 9" and 18" augers, the 18" with carbide teeth. After running around in circles comparing everything I figured this would be a good bet. If I don't like it, I believe it will be very saleable.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the reply Ken. I ordered my Bobcat 15c auger today and it will be delivered this afternoon. I am getting 9" and 18" augers, the 18" with carbide teeth. After running around in circles comparing everything I figured this would be a good bet. If I don't like it, I believe it will be very saleable.
If you don't mind email the prices you paid for those items
I'd like to compare it with what I have.
Thanks
[email protected]

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

If you don't mind email the prices you paid for those items
I'd like to compare it with what I have.
Thanks
[email protected]
Ken, I sent you the needed info. I forgot, all figures are in U.S. dollars. Tried my new toy out today. I dug one 9" hole 4 feet deep, it seems to work well. I like the rpms and the direct drive. I think it is a very good value compared to many others I looked at. I like genuine Bobcat attachments; fit, finnish, and functionality are all very good.

skidsteer.ca

Ken, I sent you the needed info. I forgot, all figures are in U.S. dollars. Tried my new toy out today. I dug one 9" hole 4 feet deep, it seems to work well. I like the rpms and the direct drive. I think it is a very good value compared to many others I looked at. I like genuine Bobcat attachments; fit, finnish, and functionality are all very good.
I got it, thanks.
Fit finish and torque are good one the one I carry too. But if you have a good dealer I can't match the price on the drive. The bits we are competitve on.
The next time I speak with my product rep I'll have to see if they have some reason for being higher. On many attachments they do it better instead of cheaper. But there is nothing ( I can see) to improve on the 15c for std flow machines.
Although I do believe there are alot of other brands that are just as good.
Thanks
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

I got it, thanks.
Fit finish and torque are good one the one I carry too. But if you have a good dealer I can't match the price on the drive. The bits we are competitve on.
The next time I speak with my product rep I'll have to see if they have some reason for being higher. On many attachments they do it better instead of cheaper. But there is nothing ( I can see) to improve on the 15c for std flow machines.
Although I do believe there are alot of other brands that are just as good.
Thanks
Ken
For the record, I believe my Bobcat dealer is excellent. I have always been treated fairly even when I was a nobody to them. Now I know most of the guys there and are starting to sell them trailers due to our relationship. As far a prices go they bend over backwards to beat the competition.

skidsteer.ca

For the record, I believe my Bobcat dealer is excellent. I have always been treated fairly even when I was a nobody to them. Now I know most of the guys there and are starting to sell them trailers due to our relationship. As far a prices go they bend over backwards to beat the competition.
There is a dealer in Wi that gets most of my "Bobcat" business. They are helpful on the phone and they're pricing is quite competitve. I've never set foot in their door (as of yet) but if it can be shipped I'll get a quote from them. The attitude of the dealer makes (in their case) or breaks the deal to me.
My "local" dealer does not want my business (or anyone elses for that matter, it seems) and I grew tired of feeling like I was imposing on them to get their outrageous quote. So now I'm a small thorn in their side competing with them for customers. Many of whom have had the same experience with them.
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

There is a dealer in Wi that gets most of my "Bobcat" business. They are helpful on the phone and they're pricing is quite competitve. I've never set foot in their door (as of yet) but if it can be shipped I'll get a quote from them. The attitude of the dealer makes (in their case) or breaks the deal to me.
My "local" dealer does not want my business (or anyone elses for that matter, it seems) and I grew tired of feeling like I was imposing on them to get their outrageous quote. So now I'm a small thorn in their side competing with them for customers. Many of whom have had the same experience with them.
Ken
Ken, it wouldn't happen to be Bobcat Express in Chippewa Falls would it?

skidsteer.ca

Ken, it wouldn't happen to be Bobcat Express in Chippewa Falls would it?
I got the parts to fix my 553 from them and have no compaints, however I found Barron Supply, Barron Wi slightly better priced. I ordered everything for my 853 rebuild from them.
As a rule parts are cheaper to the south. Tiller tines were $19 cdn and $11.40 US
Makes it hard to shop locally.
Is Bobcat Express who you build trailers for?
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

I got the parts to fix my 553 from them and have no compaints, however I found Barron Supply, Barron Wi slightly better priced. I ordered everything for my 853 rebuild from them.
As a rule parts are cheaper to the south. Tiller tines were $19 cdn and $11.40 US
Makes it hard to shop locally.
Is Bobcat Express who you build trailers for?
Ken
Yes it is. So far we have shown them a prototype that they like and now we are negotiating price. Production will probably start this month some time. It is a small world.