Drive fence posts with hydraulic breaker?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

Has anyone every used a hydraulic to drive in pipe fence posts? I am looking at purchasing some used 3.5" drill pipe to use for fence posts. I'd rather drive them into the ground than auger a hole an pack with dirt or fill with cement. My local dealer has a post driver attachment for a breaker. It is a stepped down pin which will go inside 1.5", 2.5" or 3.5" I.D. pipe. Since they have the attachment, it must work. My soil is silt / clay mixed, so it is fairly soft and the pipe should drive pretty good. Any comments or suggestions about this?

OP
OP
500K_773

500K_773

Looking at the product brouchure, it might not work with my SSL. The posts I'd like to drive are 10' long. With a 10' reach of my SSL, the breaker attachement would only allow about 6 or 7 feet of post. If this method works, I may have to rent a mini-excavator to drive them with. This would allow me to get high enough to drive a 10' post.

Tazza

Staff member
Looking at the product brouchure, it might not work with my SSL. The posts I'd like to drive are 10' long. With a 10' reach of my SSL, the breaker attachement would only allow about 6 or 7 feet of post. If this method works, I may have to rent a mini-excavator to drive them with. This would allow me to get high enough to drive a 10' post.
That sounds like something i would do, saves time and effort!
I can't see any problems doing it, try to keep dry fires to a minium as everyone tells me that you can damage the breaker if you don't.
Let us know how it goes.