Draining engine oil on an 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I'm fixing to change oil on my 1999 model 873. Last year when I drained the engine oil it seemed like it didn't drain no where near the amount that the owner's manual said it holds. Am I crazy or is there somewhere else I need to drain to get all of the used oil out? Also what is the gpm of the auxillary hydraulic system for attachments? It is standard flow. Thanks for any help.

OldMachinist

Service manual says just the one drain. 16 qts of engine oil.
18 gpm on the hydraulic system.

sstec

Service manual says just the one drain. 16 qts of engine oil.
18 gpm on the hydraulic system.
The trick is to get the engine warmed up completely and not be in a hurry.
You need to get it good and warm, then pull the drain and walk away.
You are asking the upper cooling radiator to drain with no way for it to back vent. Kind of like tipping a jug upside down and expect it to just run out and not suck in any air to replace the void.
The warmer the oil the better it will run back to the crankcase and drain.
I try to run mine for a few hours then put the front wheels off the ground via the bucket and slide two 4X4's under the wheels pull the plug and walk away for awhile.
I have a large pan for it to drain into that I use for my 7.3 diesels that hold 15+ quarts too, so I know how much has drained.
You will never get it all. I think the most I have ever put back in is 13.25 quarts at a change.
hope this helps.
sstec

mrdeere1959

The trick is to get the engine warmed up completely and not be in a hurry.
You need to get it good and warm, then pull the drain and walk away.
You are asking the upper cooling radiator to drain with no way for it to back vent. Kind of like tipping a jug upside down and expect it to just run out and not suck in any air to replace the void.
The warmer the oil the better it will run back to the crankcase and drain.
I try to run mine for a few hours then put the front wheels off the ground via the bucket and slide two 4X4's under the wheels pull the plug and walk away for awhile.
I have a large pan for it to drain into that I use for my 7.3 diesels that hold 15+ quarts too, so I know how much has drained.
You will never get it all. I think the most I have ever put back in is 13.25 quarts at a change.
hope this helps.
sstec
the book says that an oil change with filter is only 10 qts. but the system does hold 16 qts

Flip57

the book says that an oil change with filter is only 10 qts. but the system does hold 16 qts
I have the 863 with the Deutz engine that is oil cooled. If this is your setup then the other 6 qts are in the radiator and associated cooling system lines. On a normal oil change you will never completely drain all of the oil.