Do I really need them?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Roscoe294

The front covers for the foot pedal clean out. If I'm operating in conditions where debris will not enter the exposed holes do I really need them? Just seems with them off debris from the top will fall through and not accumulate.

farmshop

Most of ours have them off. But sadly the stuff still doesn't fall out but it's quicker to clean it out

Tazza

Staff member
I was told they keep snakes out. I don't know if it's true, though.
If a snake really wants in, it will get in other ways. It may help a little with rodents, but again, they will find a way if they really want in too.
Having them on will help prevent dirt or other items getting in there when digging.
We have a family friend that has a fairly rare 4wd tractor that didn't have a plate infront of of the controls. The bucket was up when pushing trees over, one got in and broke off a hydraulic stem. As this machine is an orphan in the country, a new control was about 2k. If there was a plate in front, this damage would not have happened.
The drive motor covers are one of these points that potential damage could occur if they are not fitted.

SkidRoe

The covers on my machine were removed and discarded by the dealer when it was relatively new. We were told that they did too good of a job of holding debris in rather than keeping it out.
Haven't really missed them at all.
Cheers - SR

Tazza

Staff member
The covers on my machine were removed and discarded by the dealer when it was relatively new. We were told that they did too good of a job of holding debris in rather than keeping it out.
Haven't really missed them at all.
Cheers - SR
I kinda agree with that, the covers can keep some dirt out, but it also traps what dirt does gets in.

Lowe.Buuck

I kinda agree with that, the covers can keep some dirt out, but it also traps what dirt does gets in.
I keep mine on, but I also clean out the pedal wells when I notice debris starting to collect.
I know one guy who should have removed them. I was at a friends shop helping him remove a couple wheel hubs. I got in the machine to move it and could barely move the pedals. The machine was owned by a concrete company and the pedal wells were brim full to the bottom of the pedals with concrete, gravel and dirt...

reaperman

I keep mine on, but I also clean out the pedal wells when I notice debris starting to collect.
I know one guy who should have removed them. I was at a friends shop helping him remove a couple wheel hubs. I got in the machine to move it and could barely move the pedals. The machine was owned by a concrete company and the pedal wells were brim full to the bottom of the pedals with concrete, gravel and dirt...
The only time I wish my machine had them is when I'm using my brush cutter. I accumulate a lot of twigs, leaves and everything a mouse would love to nest in.