Do glow plugs work?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Brad

I have a 2005 242. I do not know if the glow plugs work. Should a light come on when I press the switch? If so, does the lack of light mean the glow plugs do not work? I checked the fuse that is good.

mikie

i was out on one last week and i dont remember a lite coming on. it was cold and wouldnt start without preheating the engine. if you are in doubt, you can use a voltmeter and see if they are getting voltage when the buttom is being depressed. in my opinion, it is unlikely they are not functioning if it starts easily after depressing switch momentarily before starting. the biggest problem i see is the glow plugs are not activated the proper lenght of time to allow a proper start. the colder it is, the longer you activate the plugs. let me know what you find out, mikie

lgammon

i was out on one last week and i dont remember a lite coming on. it was cold and wouldnt start without preheating the engine. if you are in doubt, you can use a voltmeter and see if they are getting voltage when the buttom is being depressed. in my opinion, it is unlikely they are not functioning if it starts easily after depressing switch momentarily before starting. the biggest problem i see is the glow plugs are not activated the proper lenght of time to allow a proper start. the colder it is, the longer you activate the plugs. let me know what you find out, mikie
on my 236 a light comes on when i press the switch

OP
OP
B

Brad

on my 236 a light comes on when i press the switch
Don't laugh but....are the glow plugs on top connected by a rigid brass or copper bar? I haven't looked at the engine for a while but it almost looked like two injectors per cylinder and then the third....thing per cylinder was most likely the glow plug and they were connected by this solid electrical connection.

Tazza

Staff member
Don't laugh but....are the glow plugs on top connected by a rigid brass or copper bar? I haven't looked at the engine for a while but it almost looked like two injectors per cylinder and then the third....thing per cylinder was most likely the glow plug and they were connected by this solid electrical connection.
That will be them.
They are positioned so that the spray from the injector just brushes past them inside the pre-combustion chamber in the engine. They are all linked in parallel, like you said there was a copper or brass strip connecting them together.

Latest posts