ditch witch a140 backhoe

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

junkman

i have a backhoe off of an old ditch witch and would like to build a mount to put it on a 720 bobcat ,any ideas on how it would be best to mount this the best way?its the same frame design as the on the backhoe stableizers topic.thanks lance

Tazza

Staff member
Can yo simply weld it to a standard mounting plate? then simply hook it to your machine?
You will need something like tow balls to secure it to the frame, not just the bobtach though. The flex in the bobtach will throw you around really bad.

Land-Tech

Can yo simply weld it to a standard mounting plate? then simply hook it to your machine?
You will need something like tow balls to secure it to the frame, not just the bobtach though. The flex in the bobtach will throw you around really bad.
I was looking at machines on the net. they had a420 backhoe. I'm not sure if this is the type your refering to. It has a special knuckle at the bottom of the boom to give it more reach since the backhoe is mounted above the push blade.
The only problem I see is that you will have to mount it lower on your machine than what Ditchwitch does which means you might have to shorten your out riggers.The dynamics of lowering the mounting height is that you can dig deeper below grade but the height above grade that you need for stacking spoils is reduced.Ditchwitch looks like they compensated for the height with installation of the knuckle.If you mount it high you might have access problems to your skidsteer our it might be too top heavy for your skid.
As far as attaching to to your machine, I would invest in set used forks and remove the forks, or buy just the backboard for the forks.They are made stronger and can take torque thats needed. The flat crossbars on the forks makes a great base to weld to. I ve seen attachment mounts welded to the frame so that when you lower your arms, a part of the attachment locks into these tabs. This way when you are moving onto a trailer or trying to climb a small bank, you can lift the attachment up and clear without hanging up. I used two pins to lock to the frame and it was a pain to install or remove without having the machine in a special position.The old bobcats used the ball and receiver which is a lot better than what I had. but you still have to take the time to mess with them.
I've never run a Ditchwitch but they look like a quality machine. I wish I could of had a attachment like this to build mine.And I think you will have a lot less work to build it than I did.Scott

OP
OP
J

junkman

I was looking at machines on the net. they had a420 backhoe. I'm not sure if this is the type your refering to. It has a special knuckle at the bottom of the boom to give it more reach since the backhoe is mounted above the push blade.
The only problem I see is that you will have to mount it lower on your machine than what Ditchwitch does which means you might have to shorten your out riggers.The dynamics of lowering the mounting height is that you can dig deeper below grade but the height above grade that you need for stacking spoils is reduced.Ditchwitch looks like they compensated for the height with installation of the knuckle.If you mount it high you might have access problems to your skidsteer our it might be too top heavy for your skid.
As far as attaching to to your machine, I would invest in set used forks and remove the forks, or buy just the backboard for the forks.They are made stronger and can take torque thats needed. The flat crossbars on the forks makes a great base to weld to. I ve seen attachment mounts welded to the frame so that when you lower your arms, a part of the attachment locks into these tabs. This way when you are moving onto a trailer or trying to climb a small bank, you can lift the attachment up and clear without hanging up. I used two pins to lock to the frame and it was a pain to install or remove without having the machine in a special position.The old bobcats used the ball and receiver which is a lot better than what I had. but you still have to take the time to mess with them.
I've never run a Ditchwitch but they look like a quality machine. I wish I could of had a attachment like this to build mine.And I think you will have a lot less work to build it than I did.Scott
what happened was i had an old r40 ditch witch and it was junk but the backhoe was good and it just happened to have the wisconsin motor i needed for the m700 bobcat i bought for 1500. i was thinking the QA plate and go to the hooks on the front of the bobcat for stableizer bars.i will post picts of the bachoe and bobcat when i get home(i finaly got time to go pick it up and coming home tomorow)and its a m-700 not a 720 bobcat

bfingar

what happened was i had an old r40 ditch witch and it was junk but the backhoe was good and it just happened to have the wisconsin motor i needed for the m700 bobcat i bought for 1500. i was thinking the QA plate and go to the hooks on the front of the bobcat for stableizer bars.i will post picts of the bachoe and bobcat when i get home(i finaly got time to go pick it up and coming home tomorow)and its a m-700 not a 720 bobcat
Junkman:
I have a A140 I am in the middle of converting to a Bobtach mount. The Bobtach mount and upper supports or "hitch balls" is complete. e-mail me and I will shoot you the pictures. I mounted it on my 642. It might help.
Bernie

Sam_French

Junkman:
I have a A140 I am in the middle of converting to a Bobtach mount. The Bobtach mount and upper supports or "hitch balls" is complete. e-mail me and I will shoot you the pictures. I mounted it on my 642. It might help.
Bernie
I have a 743B what ditch witch or vermeers would be good to look out for? Pretty GOOD idea. Thank You Sam

I have a 743B what ditch witch or vermeers would be good to look out for? Pretty GOOD idea. Thank You Sam
vermeer lm42(small hoe), v3550, v5750, v8550, possibly lm25 (small hoe), all could have been configured with backhoe attachments. i was a service manager for vermeer for a while and not many machines came through my shop with hoes except for a few lm42's and a few v8550's hoe on the 8550 is pretty stout, maybe too big unless used on a big skidsteer like a asv rc100 or 4810

OP
OP
J

junkman

vermeer lm42(small hoe), v3550, v5750, v8550, possibly lm25 (small hoe), all could have been configured with backhoe attachments. i was a service manager for vermeer for a while and not many machines came through my shop with hoes except for a few lm42's and a few v8550's hoe on the 8550 is pretty stout, maybe too big unless used on a big skidsteer like a asv rc100 or 4810
almost got it mounted have to punch holes in mounting plate and start welding will post picts when i get home on tuesday.

jerry

almost got it mounted have to punch holes in mounting plate and start welding will post picts when i get home on tuesday.
On the same subject I have a old case d100 backhoe that I had on the Bobcat 632 and now I want to put it on the 665 new holland. Does anyone have a picture of of a mount either on a deere or new holland? I am thinking of putting a piece of 1/2" plate on the front just below the cab entrance and using one cat 2 3pt link from the plate to the backhoe. Any ideas would be welcome. The only thing I wonder about is the height of the mount for the link is a lot lower than it was on the bobcat. thanks for any input.

OP
OP
J

junkman

On the same subject I have a old case d100 backhoe that I had on the Bobcat 632 and now I want to put it on the 665 new holland. Does anyone have a picture of of a mount either on a deere or new holland? I am thinking of putting a piece of 1/2" plate on the front just below the cab entrance and using one cat 2 3pt link from the plate to the backhoe. Any ideas would be welcome. The only thing I wonder about is the height of the mount for the link is a lot lower than it was on the bobcat. thanks for any input.
any ideas how to post picts on web site and i will get them on here or give me an email address and i can send them

jerry

any ideas how to post picts on web site and i will get them on here or give me an email address and i can send them
if you go to the media, photos heading at the top of the site page you can post them there, that would be best if it works because it is a recurring subject. If it doesn't work I have a e-mail under my profile. really appreciate any ideas on this. thank you. jerry

OP
OP
J

junkman

if you go to the media, photos heading at the top of the site page you can post them there, that would be best if it works because it is a recurring subject. If it doesn't work I have a e-mail under my profile. really appreciate any ideas on this. thank you. jerry
got some picts downloaded working on downloading more they are under ditchwitch 140 backhoe in the media picts

jerry

got some picts downloaded working on downloading more they are under ditchwitch 140 backhoe in the media picts
Junkman, that is a way nicer backhoe than the one I have. I see how it sits on the hooks on the front there and I think I know how I will put mine on now. I don't think the davis hoe comes back tight against the boom like that or goes that vertical. thanks for the pictures, I am sure others will use them too.

OP
OP
J

junkman

Junkman, that is a way nicer backhoe than the one I have. I see how it sits on the hooks on the front there and I think I know how I will put mine on now. I don't think the davis hoe comes back tight against the boom like that or goes that vertical. thanks for the pictures, I am sure others will use them too.
i did it that way so the weight wasnt on the loader the backhoe weighs 1500 i can get the boom all the way out with the outriggers up and still move around i dug a hole in the neighbors yard and got about 4 feet and decided that 20 degrees was too cold to be playing around,i also built a manbasket for my tractor to start on my pole shed 24 by 78

OP
OP
J

junkman

i did it that way so the weight wasnt on the loader the backhoe weighs 1500 i can get the boom all the way out with the outriggers up and still move around i dug a hole in the neighbors yard and got about 4 feet and decided that 20 degrees was too cold to be playing around,i also built a manbasket for my tractor to start on my pole shed 24 by 78
i am going to build mounts on the backhoe to mount to a 3pt on a tractor and make it universal

vortechx

I have a Ditch Witch 140 Backhoe that I was going to mount on a 763 Bobcat.I saw Junkman's photos and that is a nice rig! Could I mount it to the Bob tach instead.I have a make up plate that I was going to bolt to it. Thanks 412 292 5183