Dirty fuel? or Is this normal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dsmithson

So I pulled a deutz 2011 motor from a non running bobcat 873 (fire damage), I dont know the history on it, but I was able to get the engine started today, out of the machine sitting on pallet, My question is this,, The fuel entering the engine is clean fresh diesel, as it comes out of the return line it is a little dingy, Is this normal or should the fuel exiting be of the same color?

bobbie-g

First, all I've ever heard of in an 863 are Deutz 1011 diesels. Let us know if that's incorrect. My 863 has an M1011 Deutz. Second, I thought the return line fuel was just fuel that was not needed/used at the injector pump and the injectors, which went straight back into the tank. It should be just a clean as the initial fuel going into the filter, lift pump, and on into the injector pump. Maybe the fire charred some things and that's what you see being "washed" out? :) ---Bobbie-G

Tazza

Staff member
First, all I've ever heard of in an 863 are Deutz 1011 diesels. Let us know if that's incorrect. My 863 has an M1011 Deutz. Second, I thought the return line fuel was just fuel that was not needed/used at the injector pump and the injectors, which went straight back into the tank. It should be just a clean as the initial fuel going into the filter, lift pump, and on into the injector pump. Maybe the fire charred some things and that's what you see being "washed" out? :) ---Bobbie-G
I'd suspect the same thing, the returning fuel could be just old fuel that was in there or just washing out the pump and injectors of what was there before.

Bswwood

I'd suspect the same thing, the returning fuel could be just old fuel that was in there or just washing out the pump and injectors of what was there before.
Check the fuel filter and see if the fuel is dirty. If your lift pump is going bad sometimes oil can get into the fuel. My personal 873 with the Deutz did this just recently.