Diesel starting fliud ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

evening guys,
was at my NH dealer today and saw a can lableled "diesel starting fluid" it was in a canister like you would see a propane torch or mapp gas..not like a spray can. label was smeared so i couldn't read how,why,safe ect to use...anyone know what i'm talking about? it has the threaded top like the mapp or propane would,
steve

jerry

I have seen at least one farm tractor which had a spot for starting aid to be attached but they had no preheat aid. Thats all I know.

I have seen at least one farm tractor which had a spot for starting aid to be attached but they had no preheat aid. Thats all I know.
ive seen that before on larger older diesel engines (before tier 3) old detroit two strokers and old cats. nothing that would be used on a skidsteer though. the machines that these older diesel engines were in were Vermeer rock wheels and tub grinders

Tazza

Staff member
ive seen that before on larger older diesel engines (before tier 3) old detroit two strokers and old cats. nothing that would be used on a skidsteer though. the machines that these older diesel engines were in were Vermeer rock wheels and tub grinders
My 731 with a Deutz had this option from the dealer. It was direct injection and started really well with the excess fuel button anyway. I wouldn't use it on any modern diesels though.

skidsteer.ca

My 731 with a Deutz had this option from the dealer. It was direct injection and started really well with the excess fuel button anyway. I wouldn't use it on any modern diesels though.
A lot of older highway truck had these including my 85 ford. A cable from inside the cab allow your to give the engine a sniff of starting fluid from inside the cab and it was plumbed right into the intake manifold.
Starting fluid or either is good to a point, it makes the diesel fire in the cylinder at a much lower temperature, thereby helping with cold weather starts.
The problems came from people trying to get it to start a engine when it was way to cold by giving it too much either, this resulted in pre ignition or detonation where the engine fired b4 the piston was at top dead center, often stopping the starting motor dead in its tracks. If the engine did manage to start you could hear the detonation that busted ring lands off the pistons and caused other problem.
Either relies on the operator to know how much to use, and that was often the biggest problem. I use it at times but glow plugs if equiped, light weight oil and block heaters are a safer option.
Ken

Latest posts