Diesel Mix #1 and #2

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmerdad

I searched and did not find any recent topic on mixing diesel number 1 with diesel number 2 for winter temps. Where I live it can reach -25 degrees below zero! Have seen it colder a couple times. Due to this I use straight number 1 diesel which my dealer says is fine. I was always told that number 1 has less lubrication than number 2 so I put in a supplement for that. I would rather use a mixed ratio of both number 1 and number 2 vs straight number 1. So, who here uses a mix and if so, what ratio do you use and for what temperature do you expect it to work down to? Like #1 / #2 = 50 / 50 or a 75 / 25 mix? I'm thinking for me to be safe at -25 degrees it should be a minimum of 60 /40 or 65 / 35? If it matters, skid steer is not kept in heated building. I did a google search and there are so many variations I just wanted to check here. Thanks!

foton

I think that 1 or 2 would be ok as long as the proper amount of anti-gelling additive was being used. and I would for sure have it plugged in the block heater and battery warmer for a coupla hours before starting, even if I had to use a portable generator.

Gearclash

-25F is getting to the limit of what 50/50 #1/#2 can tolerate. It all depends on how cold the fuel actually gets. Stored in a heated building vs stored in unheated building vs stored outdoors are all different situations and will affect what you can get away with. A heater in the fuel system also affects what will work and what won't.

Anti waxing additives only work about so much. The straight #2 diesel I get, if treated to the maximum rate with Power Service white jug, is only safe to use down to around 0F or -5F. Below that becomes a crap shoot. Gasoline is an effective anti wax additive but don't be using that in a newer injection system.

For -25 temps I guess I would order a 50/50 blend and treat with the higher rate of Power Service.

haymaker

Newer machines with finer filters also are a bit more prone to gelling.
Also I know when Bobcat stopped using the Kubota, routing the fuel lines caused gelling issues in the cold as they were placed where they got no heat from the running engine. So the machine you own can effect cold weather issues also.
I am assuming you are familiar enough with your machine to know if you would have any of these issues.