Diesel 911 into Hydraulic tank

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

willyg1997

Yes, I know, stupid is as stupid does. I accidently mixed in 16 ounces of Diesel 911 into my hydraulic tank. So, I'll take any feedback whether it is good or bad. New and hopefully long term member here. My name is Bill and I live up in northern MN. I just pick up my first skid steer, tiered of renting them. It is a 2001 863 Bobcat with 1500 orig hours, and in excellent shape. Came from a ma/pa hobby farm down in Florida that they put aprox 100 hr/year on it. I had a white knuckle drive bringing it home last weekend through the blizzard storm in Iowa Saturday night. When I arrived at home Sunday morning the fuel was gelled up when I went to start it (MN 10 degrees). So, my plan was to put some 911 in the fuel tank and fill it up with some blended fuel, through a tap over it and let the jet heater do it business for a couple hours, so I could get it started and in the heated shop. Here is where things went south, VERY SOUTH. Like an ideate I put the 16 ounces of 911 in the hydraulic tank. As I was pouring it in I noticed the little diagram on the side of the Bobcat showing a picture of the Hyd tank. I stopped immediately, kick myself a number of times!! At that point I went to the computer and did some searching, all I found was where someone put diesel fuel in the hyd tank, but nothing on diesel 911. Not yet having a service manual, I was able to locate the hyd tank drain hose. I have a heating pad snuggled up under the hyd tank, draining the tank. Slow process in 10 deg weather. On a positive note, I have NOT started the Bobcat after I put the 911 in the hyd tank. So, my plan it to let the tank drain completely. The pour in about 1 gallon of warm/hot hydraulic fluid and let it drain out, and repeat this step. Hopefully the warm/hot hyd fluid will help mix what's left in the tank and allow it to flow out better than the thick molasses I have draining right now. Then fill the tank up with Bobcat Hydraulic Fluid and call it good. My question is, Am I on the right track. Should I be doing something different, and/or in addition to what I am already doing. I am guessing because it hasn't been started yet the 911 hasn't mixed into the rest of the areas, (pump, lines, cylinders, ect…). Or am I facing more of a major service. Thank you very much in advance!!! Bill

antfarmer2

Sound like you have it figured out don't think it would hurt it but not want to be the first to try it lol

mark18mwm

I agree with Antfarmer, I don't think it will hurt it. I personally don't think you even need to drain the tank, but I guess better safe then sorry. I think the 911 would just "thin down" the viscosity of the hyd oil a little bit. I would bet it wont do any damage, if it don't damage the injection pump for fuel I'm sure the hyd pump could take it. But changing it definitely would give you piece of mind. I think it instantly mixed with the oil when you put it in, like it will do with fuel and I don't think there will be any left after you dump it out, but a rinse with fresh oil sure won't hurt anything. I think you got this well in hand and you are good to go.

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

I agree with Antfarmer, I don't think it will hurt it. I personally don't think you even need to drain the tank, but I guess better safe then sorry. I think the 911 would just "thin down" the viscosity of the hyd oil a little bit. I would bet it wont do any damage, if it don't damage the injection pump for fuel I'm sure the hyd pump could take it. But changing it definitely would give you piece of mind. I think it instantly mixed with the oil when you put it in, like it will do with fuel and I don't think there will be any left after you dump it out, but a rinse with fresh oil sure won't hurt anything. I think you got this well in hand and you are good to go.
Thanks for your help guys!! No I just need to get the fuel liquid again.

reaperman

Thanks for your help guys!! No I just need to get the fuel liquid again.
You probably did yourself a favor. Bobcat recommends changing hydro fluid at 1000 hrs, chances are the original owner never did. Nice looking machine, you must want everyone to get a good look at it with the oversized avatar! I have to give you a hard time, we share a common bond. Were both crazy enough to live in this frozen state.

antfarmer2

You probably did yourself a favor. Bobcat recommends changing hydro fluid at 1000 hrs, chances are the original owner never did. Nice looking machine, you must want everyone to get a good look at it with the oversized avatar! I have to give you a hard time, we share a common bond. Were both crazy enough to live in this frozen state.
Try 911 in the fuel tank LMAO

OP
OP
willyg1997

willyg1997

reaperman, Thanks. She now has new Cat fluid in her system. Ya, this frozen BS is taking its toll on things. I tried to thaw the fuel last night (under a tarp with a jet heater) for an hour, but she is still gelled up. I'm just going to bring it over to Aldrich Tractor and have them pull the trailer into their shop and let it thaw, and give it a once over plus a good service. As far as the avatar, I tried to upload a smaller pic (80x80) but its not replacing the current one, Guess I sent the admin a message to delete it,

crashz

reaperman, Thanks. She now has new Cat fluid in her system. Ya, this frozen BS is taking its toll on things. I tried to thaw the fuel last night (under a tarp with a jet heater) for an hour, but she is still gelled up. I'm just going to bring it over to Aldrich Tractor and have them pull the trailer into their shop and let it thaw, and give it a once over plus a good service. As far as the avatar, I tried to upload a smaller pic (80x80) but its not replacing the current one, Guess I sent the admin a message to delete it,
911 has some alcohol in it to help with the unfreezing and suspension of water. It is meant to be used only in emergencies and not as a regular fuel additive. That said, fuel is burnt through and has relatively low contact time with seals and such, versus hydraulic fluid. I think you are doing exactly what should be done and its a good thing that you did not try and start this and circulate that fluid mix. A simple drain and re-fill will probably take out all of the 911, but I think your flushing method will not only help with that, but also clean any other things out of the bottom of the tank.