Deutz F2L511D not running on both cylinders

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rgutshall

I have a New Holland Skid steer with a Deutz F2L511D. This week when I went to use it, it started and was only running on one cylinder. When I pushed the fuel allowance button it fired right up. Its done this every time since. I don't see any wet areas where fuel could be leaking. Do I have an injector problem? Coulld it be sucking air between the injector pump and the injector? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Could it have been a little too cold for starting on both cylinders? Does it have glow plugs and could some be not working?
Not sure i'd suspect a fuel leak, as it started rite up when the excess fuel button was hit.

OP
OP
R

Rgutshall

Could it have been a little too cold for starting on both cylinders? Does it have glow plugs and could some be not working?
Not sure i'd suspect a fuel leak, as it started rite up when the excess fuel button was hit.
It wasn't that cold when it first started acting up but I moved it into the garage and tried it the next morning and it did the same thing. No it doesn't have glow plugs. I can't see a fuel leak in any of the lines. Do you think I should replace the orings on top on the injector pump? Its where the fuel lines connect going up to the injectors.

Tazza

Staff member
It wasn't that cold when it first started acting up but I moved it into the garage and tried it the next morning and it did the same thing. No it doesn't have glow plugs. I can't see a fuel leak in any of the lines. Do you think I should replace the orings on top on the injector pump? Its where the fuel lines connect going up to the injectors.
Not sure new O rings would do the trick..... Are there any external fuel leaks? I'm wondering if you installed an inline hand fuel pump, if that may help. The style that they use on boats.

JohnDV

Not sure new O rings would do the trick..... Are there any external fuel leaks? I'm wondering if you installed an inline hand fuel pump, if that may help. The style that they use on boats.
Do you think the system may have just gotten a little dirty? Those fuel pumps, lines and injectors have very tiny passages. Think about the trying something simple first.
1.) In the winter do you use any fuel additives? I use Power Service (winter blend) and it works great for me.
2.) Add a good fuel injector cleaner (I use Lucas) and run the unit for a while to see if it fixes the problem or slightly improves.

If you're going to pull the injectors, I would think about taking to a local diesel shop to get them pop tested and also look at the spray pattern. I'm not a expert but it doesn't sound like a injector pump as it runs fine when started, so I'd leave that alone for now.

OP
OP
R

Rgutshall

I see no external air leaks. It has what they call a lift pump similar to a fuel pump on the side of the block. I will get that pressure checked over the weekend to be sure its putting out what its suppose to. Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rgutshall

I see no external air leaks. It has what they call a lift pump similar to a fuel pump on the side of the block. I will get that pressure checked over the weekend to be sure its putting out what its suppose to. Thanks
I think I will try what JohnDV suggested. Start with something small and work up from there. I tried responding to him but the system won't let me. My buddy told me yesterday he thinks its dirt as well, they are having an issue with fungi growing in the tanks. He is betting that is what is causing my problem. I will run some injector cleaner thru it as well. I will let you know how I make out

OP
OP
R

Rgutshall

I think I will try what JohnDV suggested. Start with something small and work up from there. I tried responding to him but the system won't let me. My buddy told me yesterday he thinks its dirt as well, they are having an issue with fungi growing in the tanks. He is betting that is what is causing my problem. I will run some injector cleaner thru it as well. I will let you know how I make out
I wanted to thank everyone that made suggestions for my repairs. We made a couple of corrections and it seems to have cured my problem. We replaced the fuel line leading up to the fuel allowance block, replaced the copper washers and ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it. I started the machine and left it run for a couple of hours. I left it set for half a day and started it again, it was running on both cylinders again. The real test was last weekend, I hadn't stated it for over a week, it was 20 degrees, hit the key and she started right up on both cylinders!!! It still sounds like there is a miss at low RPM's but I am hoping it will smooth out over time. Again thank you

Tazza

Staff member
I wanted to thank everyone that made suggestions for my repairs. We made a couple of corrections and it seems to have cured my problem. We replaced the fuel line leading up to the fuel allowance block, replaced the copper washers and ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it. I started the machine and left it run for a couple of hours. I left it set for half a day and started it again, it was running on both cylinders again. The real test was last weekend, I hadn't stated it for over a week, it was 20 degrees, hit the key and she started right up on both cylinders!!! It still sounds like there is a miss at low RPM's but I am hoping it will smooth out over time. Again thank you
Good to hear it's running again.
It may be an idea to keep the injector cleaner up to it for a while, sit may help clean the injectors a little more if it's still not quite rite.