Deere 260 hydraulic issues.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DeereDzlPwr

Hi, I have a 2002 Deere 260 skid steer. Whenever I start it up and let it idle a little to warm up, one of the steering levers will move forward on their own somehow, it makes a horrible noise and the engine will stall. It is also very noisy when moving at low speed and low idle. This is all with the parking brake engaged.

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds like your neutral needs adjusting. If its not just right, the lever will bounce a little and squeel. If you take the brake off, does the machine creep?
Some machines use a shock buffer too, if its bad it can put extra load on the steering stick causing this too.

OP
OP
D

DeereDzlPwr

Sounds like your neutral needs adjusting. If its not just right, the lever will bounce a little and squeel. If you take the brake off, does the machine creep?
Some machines use a shock buffer too, if its bad it can put extra load on the steering stick causing this too.
Yes, it does creep when I take the brake off. How do I adjust the neutral?

Tazza

Staff member
Is the red circled part an adjustment? I noticed the left side has less threads showing than the right, and the left side is the one that moves.
Those to me look like they adjust the steering lever position, not the pump neutral. The neutral for the pump i though woud have been closer to the actual pump.
I have never worked on one of these, so i'm not 100% sure though.

villageidiot

Those to me look like they adjust the steering lever position, not the pump neutral. The neutral for the pump i though woud have been closer to the actual pump.
I have never worked on one of these, so i'm not 100% sure though.
You need to perform all the steering adjustments. TM1780 section 7 I tried to attach the Manual section but do not know how. Be very careful or hire someone who knows how. You need to jack up the machine and run it at high speed with the wheels off the ground. It takes people who know how a long time.

OP
OP
D

DeereDzlPwr

You need to perform all the steering adjustments. TM1780 section 7 I tried to attach the Manual section but do not know how. Be very careful or hire someone who knows how. You need to jack up the machine and run it at high speed with the wheels off the ground. It takes people who know how a long time.
Could you maybe email me the manual? Or summarize?

villageidiot

Too cheap to take it to the dealer, so its staying like this a while longer.
PM me. I have a factory manual now. Or ask the dealer to print the adjustment section for you. Some are nice. Or hang out by the mechanics shop door at the Deere dealer at closing time and find someone looking for some side work. The adjustments are complicated.