CTL/skid steer for logging/plowing?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lmw

Looking for some advice on a new machine: We are looking for a CTL or skid steer mainly for small scale logging on our 100 acres of hilly/wooded land (maybe 20 cords/year) also hoping to use to plow our 2000 ft dirt driveway (one fairly steep area). We've been getting some conflicting advice: thinking a CTL would be better for getting through the woods, esp muddy or snowy areas, and thought a CTL would be good as well for plowing, but hearing also that wheels with chains would be better. Our driveway does get some ice on it since it is a dirt road, but we often sand the steep part. Would a CTL work? We've been looking at the Gehl CTL55 - would this be enough horsepower to drag logs out of the woods? Seems every person we ask has a different opinion on which machine is better.. what are your thoughts? We are trying to spend $20,000 max on a used machine... Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

For crawling over stumps and logs I'd have to vote for tires with steel tracks. Tires chains will beat the ctl on the driveway to. The ctl definitely will float better on soft ground because of the longer and wider tracks, but if its that soft its you will get the ctl stuck some where too.
I can't help but think the ctl tracks and under carriage would take a real expensive beating in the bush.
Ken

xcmark

For crawling over stumps and logs I'd have to vote for tires with steel tracks. Tires chains will beat the ctl on the driveway to. The ctl definitely will float better on soft ground because of the longer and wider tracks, but if its that soft its you will get the ctl stuck some where too.
I can't help but think the ctl tracks and under carriage would take a real expensive beating in the bush.
Ken
track loader will be better in soft ground. Plowing the driveway if its got any grade to it your going to need chains or studs in the tires or tracks for sure. Maxgrip is screw in stud for tires/tracks I think it should solve that problem. Keep in mind a set of new tires and a set of steel tracks is about the same price as a short set of rubber tracks. The tracks on my JCB 1110t are over $4000 and tracks for the larger cat /asv loader are about the same. thats just tracks , no idlers,no bogies..... you get anywhere from 400~1500 hours out of a rubber track and tires figure 400~600 hours depends on what its running on and who is running it.

bobcat_ron

track loader will be better in soft ground. Plowing the driveway if its got any grade to it your going to need chains or studs in the tires or tracks for sure. Maxgrip is screw in stud for tires/tracks I think it should solve that problem. Keep in mind a set of new tires and a set of steel tracks is about the same price as a short set of rubber tracks. The tracks on my JCB 1110t are over $4000 and tracks for the larger cat /asv loader are about the same. thats just tracks , no idlers,no bogies..... you get anywhere from 400~1500 hours out of a rubber track and tires figure 400~600 hours depends on what its running on and who is running it.
Go with Loegering Over the Tire tracks, they are the absolute best for logging, weld some 1/4" cleats on them and htey will grab anything that gets in it's way, a CTL is going to slip on ice and cost you even more money, whereas a skid steer with OTT will keep going and cost less to own and operate.
A good set up is foam filled tires, that way you get added weight for counter balance and no flat tires.

Latest posts