Correct Fluid ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BubbaDirt

Several have mentioned using motor oil instead of "Bobcat Brand" hyd. fluid. What weight should I use in the chaincase ? Where is the chaincase drain on a 853 ?

Tazza

Staff member
The chaincase will taje standard engine oil too, 15W30 20W50 anything like that is fine. The chaincase oil just needs to lubricate the chains, gear boxes and wheel bearings. I just run cheap oil in here as its not critical.

OP
OP
B

BubbaDirt

The chaincase will taje standard engine oil too, 15W30 20W50 anything like that is fine. The chaincase oil just needs to lubricate the chains, gear boxes and wheel bearings. I just run cheap oil in here as its not critical.
Thanks, Tazza... Would you know where the drain might be (853) ? Reading other posts here, looks like I have to pump it out?

farmboy55

Thanks, Tazza... Would you know where the drain might be (853) ? Reading other posts here, looks like I have to pump it out?
If you will look at the frt of you machine you will see a plug like on the rear end of a car. Just below the plug is the level I keep it on my 853. dennis

skidsteer.ca

If you will look at the frt of you machine you will see a plug like on the rear end of a car. Just below the plug is the level I keep it on my 853. dennis
Drain is under a cover with 3 3/8" bolts under the machine between the engine and the rear axel.
remove cover,
plug facing the front is chaincase, on facing the rear is the fuel tank
Ken

pondfishr

It sounds like 15/40 would work. I have some on hand and that is what I put in my 743. The thing was 4 gallons low. Not Good but this was the first time I checked it. Does the chain case sometimes leak? Not sure where the 4 gallons went to. I have owned the machine two years I guess it could have possible been low all along.

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like 15/40 would work. I have some on hand and that is what I put in my 743. The thing was 4 gallons low. Not Good but this was the first time I checked it. Does the chain case sometimes leak? Not sure where the 4 gallons went to. I have owned the machine two years I guess it could have possible been low all along.
It can seap out the axle seals but if you lost that much fluid you should be able to see it!
Its possible that it was never filled correctly last time.
Its more common for the chain case to be over full from motor leakage than low.

pondfishr

It can seap out the axle seals but if you lost that much fluid you should be able to see it!
Its possible that it was never filled correctly last time.
Its more common for the chain case to be over full from motor leakage than low.
I have not seen 4 gallons of fluid on the ground. I hope it was just low I guess time will tell.

Tazza

Staff member
I have not seen 4 gallons of fluid on the ground. I hope it was just low I guess time will tell.
I'd say it was, there is physically no where else for it to go. I have had 2 743's pulled to bits, and there is nothing that attaches to it that would consume oil.
Hope its all good though, hopefully it won't have hurt the reduction boxes and bearings.

pondfishr

I'd say it was, there is physically no where else for it to go. I have had 2 743's pulled to bits, and there is nothing that attaches to it that would consume oil.
Hope its all good though, hopefully it won't have hurt the reduction boxes and bearings.
You might not be able to offer an opinion for this question but I will ask anyway. Do you think the low chain case oil level will cause long term damage? What should I look for ect....

Tazza

Staff member
You might not be able to offer an opinion for this question but I will ask anyway. Do you think the low chain case oil level will cause long term damage? What should I look for ect....
Depending on how low it was i'd say it really could. There are a few gears and bearings in the reduction box that the hydro motor(s) attach to.
Either way, there is nothing that can be done now. You toped it up, thats all you can really do.
Checking for wear would involve a fair amount of work. You could do a quick test by removing the inspection cover and see if you have any end to end play in the drive sprocket from the gear box. Thats about it. Personally i'd just hope its ok. It would take a level that was REAL low to do this i believe.

pondfishr

Depending on how low it was i'd say it really could. There are a few gears and bearings in the reduction box that the hydro motor(s) attach to.
Either way, there is nothing that can be done now. You toped it up, thats all you can really do.
Checking for wear would involve a fair amount of work. You could do a quick test by removing the inspection cover and see if you have any end to end play in the drive sprocket from the gear box. Thats about it. Personally i'd just hope its ok. It would take a level that was REAL low to do this i believe.
It was over half full before I topped it off. I found our why it was low to begin with. I have a bad left wheel seal. It is really leaking fluid to where it is getting on the inside if the tire. How difficult is that one to repair? I am sorry for so many questions, I will look in the forum archives to see if this question has been answered before.

Tazza

Staff member
It was over half full before I topped it off. I found our why it was low to begin with. I have a bad left wheel seal. It is really leaking fluid to where it is getting on the inside if the tire. How difficult is that one to repair? I am sorry for so many questions, I will look in the forum archives to see if this question has been answered before.
Not a problem asking questions.
Its not an easy job but it is easier if its the front wheel.
The hardest part is holding the sprocket and chain up while you engage the sprocket on the axle. You really need a chain breaker to make it easy. Then you need to get the seal in, you really need a tool to do this.
It can be done, but not easy or fun.......