Concrete mixer, and scooper

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Crashly

Has anybody tried one of those concrete mixers that can scoop up the concrete mix and mix and pour? Pros vs Cons? Like the monolithic type? I am looking to buy a used one if anybody knows of one please let me know. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

I was admiring one of those too. I've see a used one for sale too and am waiting to here back from the guy. It is a different brand, but looks like it may be made by the same company.
Does anyone know any cons to these, they sure look like it would be better then shoveling the gravel in.
I wonder how much practice it takes to scoop the correct amount of gravel.
1/3 of a yard does not sound like alot either. Should be able to mix a larger batch then that if your loader can carry it. This one looked like the plastic paddles were wore/tore up some. Wonder how long they last/ cost to replace? The rest is pretty simple, not much to go wrong.
Thoughts anyone
Ken

skidsteer.ca

I was admiring one of those too. I've see a used one for sale too and am waiting to here back from the guy. It is a different brand, but looks like it may be made by the same company.
Does anyone know any cons to these, they sure look like it would be better then shoveling the gravel in.
I wonder how much practice it takes to scoop the correct amount of gravel.
1/3 of a yard does not sound like alot either. Should be able to mix a larger batch then that if your loader can carry it. This one looked like the plastic paddles were wore/tore up some. Wonder how long they last/ cost to replace? The rest is pretty simple, not much to go wrong.
Thoughts anyone
Ken
Here are some pics I uploaded into the media section
Ken
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=0&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=1&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=2&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=3&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=4&path=portamix%20com

OP
OP
C

Crashly

Here are some pics I uploaded into the media section
Ken
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=0&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=1&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=2&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=3&path=portamix%20com
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=1&currentitem=4&path=portamix%20com
So who has the best price for one of these mixers?

skidsteer.ca

So who has the best price for one of these mixers?
Both the monolithic and the portamix.com are @ 42 4300 for the 1/3 yard. Fellow is asking 2750 for his, I'd need to ship. Still thinking about it. They claim a output or 1.6 to 2 yards a hour. 10 to 12 mins per batch.
Both in texas, probably same mfg.
Here is another pic showing wear on paddles. At first I though he said it had mixed one yard, but then after I understood he had used it to mix one yard, First owner had used it ??? yards.
This is the second time it has been up for sale in 3 or 4 years, makes me wonder
6.jpg

Ken

OP
OP
C

Crashly

Both the monolithic and the portamix.com are @ 42 4300 for the 1/3 yard. Fellow is asking 2750 for his, I'd need to ship. Still thinking about it. They claim a output or 1.6 to 2 yards a hour. 10 to 12 mins per batch.
Here is another pic showing wear on paddles. At first I though he said it had mixed one yard, but then after I understood he had used it to mix one yard, First owner had used it ??? yards.
This is the second time it has been up for sale in 3 or 4 years, makes me wonder

Ken
Ken I saw the one on ebay, however I think that both of the units need a high flow machine to turn the drum, My 753 on has around 14 gpm for the aux hydraulics. I called Porto mix and they quoted me 6k plus shipping for the unit, FYI this was at the begining of this week. What is up with the price difference?

skidsteer.ca

Ken I saw the one on ebay, however I think that both of the units need a high flow machine to turn the drum, My 753 on has around 14 gpm for the aux hydraulics. I called Porto mix and they quoted me 6k plus shipping for the unit, FYI this was at the begining of this week. What is up with the price difference?
To revisit a old thread
I bought a used mixer of this type, looks to be homemade, does anyone have one of these scoop mixers?
Looking for pros and cons, I need to rework mine some and would like to cover all the bases and do it right.
Ken

nailsbeats

Ken
I have been looking at these attachments in the past. Upon further review, I think I will build one. Very simple. With the price of concrete these days, this would be a must have for a "do it yourselfer." At 2 yards per hour, I think that it would work OK.

Tazza

Staff member
I have been looking at these attachments in the past. Upon further review, I think I will build one. Very simple. With the price of concrete these days, this would be a must have for a "do it yourselfer." At 2 yards per hour, I think that it would work OK.
Sorry to drag up such an old post, but i have a rather large concrete project that i am crunching some numbers to see if i can do it without having to get it delivered mixed in trucks. This way i can do smaller pieces at a time and cheaper than paying for a truck load.
Has anyone had any experience with these attachments at all? I'm looking at building one from scratch. I just want to know sizes and gauge of steel if anyone has one of these.
Any and all info is welcome, i still don't know what sort of hydraulic drive i will be using. I may have access to some cheap/free motors but i need to gear them down to get the rite RPM, i don't know what the ideal RPM even is.
Any experience, tips anything is welcome. I showed my dad a video of one in action and he was actually impressed. He is not easily impressed and he was all for making one to save mixing 70 odd m3 of concrete in a tiny mixer(s).

switzforge

I'm glad this came back around. Looks like it might be a great way to make adobe block. And way better than my 3cu.ft. mixer that you have to dump into a wheel barrow

skidsteer.ca

I'm glad this came back around. Looks like it might be a great way to make adobe block. And way better than my 3cu.ft. mixer that you have to dump into a wheel barrow
Tazza
I wish you were near by I'd let you test drive mine just to see it work. Never had the time or project for it last summer
I see a few small portable ones made this way to with a 5.5 honda engine
Wish I had seen the brand name..
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
I wish you were near by I'd let you test drive mine just to see it work. Never had the time or project for it last summer
I see a few small portable ones made this way to with a 5.5 honda engine
Wish I had seen the brand name..
Ken
Ken - i reckon, i'd be happy to test drive it for ya!
I told my dad you had one, he said so why doesn't he ship it over? :)
I reckon if i can work out a hydro motor setup i could make one reasonably cheap. It will be sealed with rubber lip seals with re-renewable bushings for them to run on. I'd like to use some type of self-aligning bearing setup but not sure how they will handle the load. My biggest concern is a motor driving at the correct RPM. It will be used on my 743 at first that is 11gpm i think, then eventually the 751 that does 13 i think, but simply lowering the RPM will fix that., just as long as it gives me enough speed and torque. I'm hoping to get hold of some old hydro drive motors but i really think they will be rated at over 11GPM.

skidsteer.ca

Ken - i reckon, i'd be happy to test drive it for ya!
I told my dad you had one, he said so why doesn't he ship it over? :)
I reckon if i can work out a hydro motor setup i could make one reasonably cheap. It will be sealed with rubber lip seals with re-renewable bushings for them to run on. I'd like to use some type of self-aligning bearing setup but not sure how they will handle the load. My biggest concern is a motor driving at the correct RPM. It will be used on my 743 at first that is 11gpm i think, then eventually the 751 that does 13 i think, but simply lowering the RPM will fix that., just as long as it gives me enough speed and torque. I'm hoping to get hold of some old hydro drive motors but i really think they will be rated at over 11GPM.
Tazza
Wonder what it would cost??!
Tag on the motor is un readable.
But my 15.5 gpm NH turned it at 146 rpm a wot. Tach measured
With the sprocker ratio that worked out to 28.4 rpm in the tub.
So with a little math you could figure the motor volume.
The pillor block and flange bearing used on the beater shaft are self aligining, which is a necessity, pretty hard to weld things up and keep them that square
Ken