compact skid steer search

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alfio

hello all i am looking for a compact wheeled machine. i know the Bobcat 743 has a good reputation for being reliable, simple, and maneuverable. i'm also looking into the Bobcat S70. it's smaller than the 743 but the flow rate is good enough for what i'm doing. I'm more interested in a shorter machine than lifting capacity. i would like to run a trencher but overall length is more important because i get into spaces between houses and the extra length and weight of the bigger machines make them difficult to use in those situations. I'm looking at the S70 but there aren't too many available in the used market, if there are other models from other manufacturers, i'd like to consider them as well. thanks everyone a.

Tazza

Staff member
A 743 is a good all round machine, it is old and a very popular size. Ideally suited for moving dirt etc, but not known for being a tight access machine.
What baout a 453/463 machine? is that too small? they may also be harder to find, as the smaller machines aren't as pupular as the mid sized ones.

OP
OP
A

alfio

A 743 is a good all round machine, it is old and a very popular size. Ideally suited for moving dirt etc, but not known for being a tight access machine.
What baout a 453/463 machine? is that too small? they may also be harder to find, as the smaller machines aren't as pupular as the mid sized ones.
thanks Tazza i don't have anything against the 453/463 machines. i've seen a few popup near me but they are usually beat within an inch of their lives. there's got to be non-Bobcat branded small units by other makers, no? thanks a.

Tazza

Staff member
thanks Tazza i don't have anything against the 453/463 machines. i've seen a few popup near me but they are usually beat within an inch of their lives. there's got to be non-Bobcat branded small units by other makers, no? thanks a.
I worked on a 463 for a bloke a few months back, he said the same, there are others out there, but they are in horrible shape.
There will be other brands out there of similar size, sadly i don't what brands/models they are...

OP
OP
A

alfio

I worked on a 463 for a bloke a few months back, he said the same, there are others out there, but they are in horrible shape.
There will be other brands out there of similar size, sadly i don't what brands/models they are...
Still working my way through this search. Several things to note: skid steer manufacturers don't seem to care too much about this segment. I'm guessing it's less profitable to make smaller machines. It doesn't seem like they've branded them effectively and/or haven't developed a solid category to set them apart from their much larger / stronger counterparts. I haven't found too many alternatives. Basically, older units like a Deere 90 are too old for my purposes. I also don't want air cooled. Other than the S70, I also found a that a 453 and a 463 fit what I'm looking for but as noted above, their age usually means they need lots of work and/or are not in great shape. Just found that the S100 is slightly bigger than the S70 (4000lb machine), looking for reviews on it to figure out if they are of interest. Aside from those Bobcats, no other smaller models jump out. Will keep looking. o.

OP
OP
A

alfio

Still working my way through this search. Several things to note: skid steer manufacturers don't seem to care too much about this segment. I'm guessing it's less profitable to make smaller machines. It doesn't seem like they've branded them effectively and/or haven't developed a solid category to set them apart from their much larger / stronger counterparts. I haven't found too many alternatives. Basically, older units like a Deere 90 are too old for my purposes. I also don't want air cooled. Other than the S70, I also found a that a 453 and a 463 fit what I'm looking for but as noted above, their age usually means they need lots of work and/or are not in great shape. Just found that the S100 is slightly bigger than the S70 (4000lb machine), looking for reviews on it to figure out if they are of interest. Aside from those Bobcats, no other smaller models jump out. Will keep looking. o.
hello all searched and searched for a small machine and the best i could do was one that wasn't that small. i ended up with a Bobcat 743. well used with some known issues (bad seat, creeps, etc) but it looks like its been well cared for.

foton

hello all searched and searched for a small machine and the best i could do was one that wasn't that small. i ended up with a Bobcat 743. well used with some known issues (bad seat, creeps, etc) but it looks like its been well cared for.
well the 743 is a proven machine small enough but has enough hp to get things done, get the bugs out ,keep the service up and it should take care of you. If it is in good shape now.

Skidx

If you can find one in good condition, the Bobcat 743 is fantastic. As an alternative to the Bobcat 743, consider the S130 and, if you have a larger budget, the S450 models. Because the Bobcat 743 and 753 models have been superseded by the Bobcat s130 and s450. The Bobcat S70 replaces the Bobcat 443, 453, and 463.

SlowDave

I picked up a 443B a couple of weeks ago. It had 845 hours on it and it had just had a major service. My main use for it is hauling demo material out of tight spaces and new material back in. The biggest draw back is the low flow for the attachment hydraulics. There isn't much out there that is rated for such a low flow. I would love to find a breaker for it but so far I haven't found one rated for such low flow.

I had been looking for a while and this one popped up locally. He was asking too much and he came down a little. I feel like I paid a premium for a small machine but it was local and a fraction of what a used S70 would have costs. Besides that, it is already working and making/saving me money. No flies on that.

Latest posts