chattering noise from chaincase on L553 ***Watch my video***

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

scottlandyard

So my L553 burner project is coming to a near complete state. Engine is running, all the hoses replaced and the machine runs and drives. However, there is a chattering noise every so often from what sounds like the chain case. I'm uploading a video i took this morning to photobucket so you can see and hear it. Any help is much appreciated. I'm going to name the video "L553 skid steer" if you want to search for it before i can post it. THANKS!! Scott Maine [email protected]

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

The links don't work anymore.
So i need new chain? The tanks sat empty from April until 2 weeks ago. Will the chains sitting in the oil free up the links or am i looking at new chain? Thanks for your help. Scott

jerry

So i need new chain? The tanks sat empty from April until 2 weeks ago. Will the chains sitting in the oil free up the links or am i looking at new chain? Thanks for your help. Scott
Do your chains run in your hydraulic reservoir? If so check make sure there is not a lot of rust and metal being knocked off although there are filters for that.

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

Do your chains run in your hydraulic reservoir? If so check make sure there is not a lot of rust and metal being knocked off although there are filters for that.
Yes the chains are in the side reservoirs. I see inspection covers on both sides. Was hoping to get some additional feedback based on the video's before delving into it. Thanks!!

irwin

Yes the chains are in the side reservoirs. I see inspection covers on both sides. Was hoping to get some additional feedback based on the video's before delving into it. Thanks!!
The chains are adjustable. The adjusters are on both sides right by the boom.
BTW those video links don't work, nor does "L553" give any results on photobucket.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I went and broke down the address you posted and found "cupholder" .. here's a link to the videos. http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/cupholders/?mediafilter=videos
Didn't look at the videos but it sounds to me like the chains are too loose and skipping over the sprockets. Keep doing that and it will wear out the sprockets if they're not already.

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

Didn't look at the videos but it sounds to me like the chains are too loose and skipping over the sprockets. Keep doing that and it will wear out the sprockets if they're not already.
direct link http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/cupholders/?action=view&current=CIMG9371.flv

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

I went and broke down the address you posted and found "cupholder" .. here's a link to the videos. http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/cupholders/?mediafilter=videos
Thanks, what did you think of the noise? sprockets? chain? fitzer valve? __________________________________________________________________ http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/cupholders/?action=view&current=CIMG9371.flv

irwin

Thanks, what did you think of the noise? sprockets? chain? fitzer valve? __________________________________________________________________ http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/cupholders/?action=view&current=CIMG9371.flv
I think it shouldn't be driven at all until you isolate the cause. Do you have a service manual? According to mine: jack it up and check the backlash on wheels and see if there's more than spec. I'd also want to know if the right side is more than the left.
Hopefully tighening the chain to spec will be enough...I did listen to the videos, sounds like immediate attention is needed somewhere. Good luck...Tim

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

I think it shouldn't be driven at all until you isolate the cause. Do you have a service manual? According to mine: jack it up and check the backlash on wheels and see if there's more than spec. I'd also want to know if the right side is more than the left.
Hopefully tighening the chain to spec will be enough...I did listen to the videos, sounds like immediate attention is needed somewhere. Good luck...Tim
Thanks for the advice Tim. I do not have a service manual. Was hoping to find one on CD, but ill have to start looking on ebay for a used one. Thanks again. Scott Freedom Maine

xtreem3d

Thanks for the advice Tim. I do not have a service manual. Was hoping to find one on CD, but ill have to start looking on ebay for a used one. Thanks again. Scott Freedom Maine
did you figure this out?...one of mine was doing it yesterday until i realized the parking brake wasn't all the way off
steve

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

did you figure this out?...one of mine was doing it yesterday until i realized the parking brake wasn't all the way off
steve
cool No i had not looked at it other than to jack up the front and check the chain slack. Is yours a 555/553? did it do it intermittently? and you fixed it by adjusting the brake? It would be great to get additional details. Thanks in advance. Scott

xtreem3d

cool No i had not looked at it other than to jack up the front and check the chain slack. Is yours a 555/553? did it do it intermittently? and you fixed it by adjusting the brake? It would be great to get additional details. Thanks in advance. Scott
hi scott,
sorry i didn't make clear ...this was happening on a lx565 i didn't do any adjustment just had to fully release the brake...i was in a hurry and just didn't fully push the brake handle down, sorry for any confusion,
steve

OP
OP
scottlandyard

scottlandyard

hi scott,
sorry i didn't make clear ...this was happening on a lx565 i didn't do any adjustment just had to fully release the brake...i was in a hurry and just didn't fully push the brake handle down, sorry for any confusion,
steve
cool, thanks.

Latest posts