chains on icy hard pack?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jklingel

My tire chains do not have any traction cleats on them, and I am wondering if they are as asset on ice or a liability. The little I have used them, they seem more slippery than when not on. Am I dreaming? What are you folks finding w/ chains and ice, or icy hard pack? Thanks. j

skidsteer.ca

John
V bar or Ice chains do bite better on lake ice, but for hard compacted snow I find them unnecessary, I run a twisted link chain on the rear only for tough going, and even they mark the concrete some in the shop. They will bite into ice some too. I guess I have never had a situation when i needed better traction. It really depends on your situation.
Any chain will be a big impovement over rubber, and I find I only need chains in the spring when the temps climb and the snow or ice is wet.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jklingel

John
V bar or Ice chains do bite better on lake ice, but for hard compacted snow I find them unnecessary, I run a twisted link chain on the rear only for tough going, and even they mark the concrete some in the shop. They will bite into ice some too. I guess I have never had a situation when i needed better traction. It really depends on your situation.
Any chain will be a big impovement over rubber, and I find I only need chains in the spring when the temps climb and the snow or ice is wet.
Ken
Ca: Thanks. It just seems that I am slipping way more than I should, and I have 4 chains on. This has been on fair slopes w/ hard pack that has somewhat melted, and is close to ice. I guess I'll just have to take the chains off and do a short comparison. Too, this is the first I have run these wide-butt 14" tires, and even though the loader is heavier I may not have the equivalent bite of my little loader w/ 10" tires. I'll experiment. j