Chain case plug 453

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Edelbo

Hi there, just bought myself an elderly 453 with 2400hrs. Gave it a complete service and changed the oil in the chain case. I had to remove the chain case cover because the plug is totally rusted in. Didn't matter much as I wanted to check that all was alright and ensure a proper seal including retapping the treads, (oil was milky...) but now that's all done I would prefer to be able to do normal maintenance, not having to open through the top cover just to check the oil. Any ideas as to how to get the plug out? I tried with WD40 and my airwrench but the 1/2" just went round in the hole. But maybe it's not 1/2"?

Acj2001

You would be amazed how much a torch can do. Try heating the outer bung with a torch. If you don't have oxy torch you can try a propane or a map gas mini torch. I use my map gas handheld torch all the time. It works great......If that doesn't work try to drill a blind hole, thread it with a left hand tap, and install a left hand bolt (some easy out units work on this principle). Alternatively you could weld a nut on the exposed portion of the plug. So many options it kind of depends on the tools available.

OP
OP
E

Edelbo

You would be amazed how much a torch can do. Try heating the outer bung with a torch. If you don't have oxy torch you can try a propane or a map gas mini torch. I use my map gas handheld torch all the time. It works great......If that doesn't work try to drill a blind hole, thread it with a left hand tap, and install a left hand bolt (some easy out units work on this principle). Alternatively you could weld a nut on the exposed portion of the plug. So many options it kind of depends on the tools available.
Thanks, I was thinking along those lines myself. Will have to try the torch option first as I don't have a welder at hand. I would of course prefer not to destroy the plug in the process as I can't seem to find any decent parts supplier online. And going to the authorised dealer in my area, you'd think it was a Rolls not a 24 years old Bobcat we're talking, with the prices they charge...

Acj2001

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines myself. Will have to try the torch option first as I don't have a welder at hand. I would of course prefer not to destroy the plug in the process as I can't seem to find any decent parts supplier online. And going to the authorised dealer in my area, you'd think it was a Rolls not a 24 years old Bobcat we're talking, with the prices they charge...
I bet it is a simple plug any good machine shop could manufacture you a new one if the old unit comes out in a one piece. If you are lucky you might be able to find one online.
Check out my channel Flat Thunder Channel
Cheers,