Cat 246b 2 min shut down

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

quinny

Hi, Just replaced my engine in a 2006 246B. Everthing went smooth and it runs like dream for a few minutes then shuts down. It will then just turn over and not fire if you try to start it again straight away. However if I leave it 10 mins it fires right up, runs for a few minutes and dies. There are no flashing lights or alarms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Quinny

Tazza

Staff member
Does it stop dead? or does it slowly die like its starving for fuel?

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Tazza, It stops dead. Like you turn the key off.
It sounds like a fault causing it to shut down, obvious i know. The computers in skid steers look for critical errors and shut the engine down to help prevent damage. Safety interlock isn't critical, so it just locks you out of functions but things like high temperature, low charge pressure, low engine oil pressure etc are critical and will cause a shut down.
You did mention there were no errors on your display.... Could you have a bad light on the panel? I'd start by checking the oil pressure switch is working. Also that the charge pressure sender is ok, same with over temperature (if fitted).
Sorry i can't be specific, i have never owned a CAT machine, but as its every two minutes, it sounds like the computer is detecting a fault.