Cat 242 D

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtfan1

I bought a 242D back before Christmas and to say I'm not happy with its performance is an understatement. I have had it out on 2 jobs and have already had to replace the fuel pump. And now the new fuel pump is making the same sound the previous one was before it went out. Can someone help me with this issue? I have drained all the diesel out of it and have put fresh in it and it hasn't helped.

walio123

By the way it's a 2014 with 2700 hrs on it
Which pump, injectors pump or lift fuel pump? As for the reliability ... I do not know, a famous world brand, good big machines, but in the skidsteers something is lame. When they reach 4000 hours, problems with the hydrostatic system begin. I have changed at least 2 hydrostatic pumps and at least 4 machines hydromotors for just over 4000 hours. And when I dismantle them, there seems to be some misfortune in the bеaring beds.The rollers of the bearings fall out and inside is ...... scary. That's the only reason I've found so far. I'm beginning to think that this is not a faulty performance at the factory, but programmed ... to break.

Tazza

Staff member
By the way it's a 2014 with 2700 hrs on it
As long as there are no restrictions, be it the pickup tube or fuel filter, there is no reason for a pump to burn out. I wonder if you just got junk pumps?
I assume the pump was electric? Hopefully it's just bad luck, i don't see anything that could cause them to just fail.

OP
OP
D

dirtfan1

As long as there are no restrictions, be it the pickup tube or fuel filter, there is no reason for a pump to burn out. I wonder if you just got junk pumps?
I assume the pump was electric? Hopefully it's just bad luck, i don't see anything that could cause them to just fail.
I think it's the injector pump....it's a small device on the left side of the engine compartment right behind the fuel/water separator. It has a chrome box on top and a sight glass on the bottom. I got the new pump from my local Cat dealer. Which also happens to be the same place I bought the machine.

walio123

I think it's the injector pump....it's a small device on the left side of the engine compartment right behind the fuel/water separator. It has a chrome box on top and a sight glass on the bottom. I got the new pump from my local Cat dealer. Which also happens to be the same place I bought the machine.
Is a lift pump, not injector pump. Is not there a guarantee after you took it from an official dealer? Do you use biofuel?

OP
OP
D

dirtfan1

Is a lift pump, not injector pump. Is not there a guarantee after you took it from an official dealer? Do you use biofuel?
I will call them tomorrow about a guarantee on the part. I did not use biofuel. I get my diesel from the same place as I always do but I'm thinking of draining the tank again and maybe get fuel from another place to see if the fuel that I have been running is bad

walio123

I will call them tomorrow about a guarantee on the part. I did not use biofuel. I get my diesel from the same place as I always do but I'm thinking of draining the tank again and maybe get fuel from another place to see if the fuel that I have been running is bad
There can be no other reason than a bad fuel or a bad pump. They have to pay attention to this. Call them.

OP
OP
D

dirtfan1

There can be no other reason than a bad fuel or a bad pump. They have to pay attention to this. Call them.
I will....thanks Walio....if it's any indication how they acted to me when i called them about the first pump i'm sure they will not care. You know that phrase "service after the sale"? Well it doesn't seem to apply to them. The service manager himself sounds like he would rather have a root canal at the dentist than try to help me with my problem. Nevertheless I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere with them. I'm sure they will tell me to try fuel from a different location first then call them back.

OP
OP
D

dirtfan1

I will....thanks Walio....if it's any indication how they acted to me when i called them about the first pump i'm sure they will not care. You know that phrase "service after the sale"? Well it doesn't seem to apply to them. The service manager himself sounds like he would rather have a root canal at the dentist than try to help me with my problem. Nevertheless I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere with them. I'm sure they will tell me to try fuel from a different location first then call them back.
well i drained the fuel tank again and put diesel in it from a different place and still the same noise. called CAT and of course they said bring it in so i'm going to take it in tomorrow morning. probably just going to get it fixed then sell it. next time i'll get a mini ex.....if there ever is a next time. thanks everyone for the help on this

knogen

well i drained the fuel tank again and put diesel in it from a different place and still the same noise. called CAT and of course they said bring it in so i'm going to take it in tomorrow morning. probably just going to get it fixed then sell it. next time i'll get a mini ex.....if there ever is a next time. thanks everyone for the help on this
What kind of noise is it making? It is normal for transfer pump to rattle. Will make more noise if it has restriction If you have something in tank they like to suck it into line Flushing tank does no good.blow back into tank if fuel filter is not staying full.that is how you know you have restriction Only need 2 psi to run

kroog

What kind of noise is it making? It is normal for transfer pump to rattle. Will make more noise if it has restriction If you have something in tank they like to suck it into line Flushing tank does no good.blow back into tank if fuel filter is not staying full.that is how you know you have restriction Only need 2 psi to run
CAT parts warranty is for 12 months unlimited hours. As long as you have your receipt if you fixed it yourself. Have you changed and cut the fuel filters to see if there is any debris in the system?