cat 236 lift slowly falls

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

windsurfsam

I noticed over the past month that my bucket will slowly fall when the control stick is in the neutral position. It will do this with the motor running or not. I can sometimes bump the control stick towards the tilt control and make the lift stop falling. I see no visible leaks in any of the lift/tilt cylinders. In addition, the tilt will also neutralize to a no load position overnight. Any helpful suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I want to repair this right the first time if I can. I hate swapping out perfectly good parts because of my inexperience. Thanks to everyone in advance for your helpful advice. *****Windsurfsam Post Katrina South Mississippi - We will rebuild. And to those who came and continue to come in our time of need, GOD BLESS!*****

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like a load check problem, i had a machine thats arms would slowly fall, and if i moved the pedal back ever so slightly it would stop (with the engine off). These are a part of the control block, i'm not too sure how hard it is to gain access to the control block on your machine.

OP
OP
W

windsurfsam

It sounds like a load check problem, i had a machine thats arms would slowly fall, and if i moved the pedal back ever so slightly it would stop (with the engine off). These are a part of the control block, i'm not too sure how hard it is to gain access to the control block on your machine.
Being a Cat, it shouldn't be too hard. The cab flips up with the removal of 2 bolts. I will let you know what I find. Thanks Tazza for the replay.

Fishfiles

Could be internal seals on the piston of the cylinder rod or a scare inside the bore of the cylinder , may also be the controll valve spool is sticking a little , do you have joy stick or foot controlled linkage , may be a linkage problem , not sure about the Cat 236 but have seen other machines have a load holding valve which may have a bad oring or seal , fishfiles

mikie

Could be internal seals on the piston of the cylinder rod or a scare inside the bore of the cylinder , may also be the controll valve spool is sticking a little , do you have joy stick or foot controlled linkage , may be a linkage problem , not sure about the Cat 236 but have seen other machines have a load holding valve which may have a bad oring or seal , fishfiles
how fast does it drift off? sometimes the spools in the joystick can be a problem.

lgammon

how fast does it drift off? sometimes the spools in the joystick can be a problem.
i don't know if this will help but on my 236 i kind of fliped on the bucket one time. i pushed the piston in the joystick control past the stop. so when you let go of the controls with the engine running it would go forward slowly. they didn't offer any parts for the joy stick assembly so i had to buy the whole thing 3-4 hundred i think.