CAT 226 vs Bobcat S150/S185 purchace?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ricker

Hey guys . . . I'm a newbie to this site and a soon to be newbie to skidsteer ownership. I've always rented in the past, but have about 4 projects this coming year that will require some use of a skidsteer. I figure, with the economy and such, I should buy a used one now. make use of it for a year or so, and then either resell it or keep it. I was heading towards a S150, S185, or older 763 until I got a line on a 2000 CAT 226 with under 900 Hrs, and under $10K. I've been told that this is a great deal by a few in the know. I'm wondering, however, about things such as attachment compatability (Bobcat fits? --alot of local rental places have bobcat attachments), higher maintenance fees (hourly mechanic rates) and I need to enclose it and add heat. Thoughts, suggestions,?

skidsteer.ca

The attachments will fit, except the backhoe which has the upper brakets to steady the bucket tilt cylinders. You could make a bobcat hoe fit a cat if you don't mind cutting and welding.
Also the attachments with the Bobcat 7 pin electrical wire harness, won't work, and even the older 14 pin Bobcat harness could be rewired to work, but it won't just plug in. This would apply to any attachments like a snowblower, landscape rake, stump grinder, where you need more then one hydraulic valve to control the attachment and so they are built into the attachment and controled electrically. But buckets, forks , grapples etc are no problem.
I would think it will be hard to find a used door for the cat, you will have to build your own or buy a cab kit. Not sure how they are space wise for installing a aftermaket heater, you need a area about 8" by 8" by 10" or else you will have to buy the cat heater kit also. The cab/heater kits would be in the 2500 to 3000 range from Cat
Ken

Latest posts