case skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mitsutec30

hi i have an older case 1740 i put a rebuilt eng in it wont idle spits and pops when u run it up to high idle it will run ok but smokes alot tried adj pump timing it made it worse when i put it together pump was in time tried bleeding lines sevral times no diff i took fuel return line off while running there is no fuel that comes out of it any suggestions anybody thanx.

Tazza

Staff member
Have you had the injectors tested?
Does it run a turbo?
Just a few things to check first.

OP
OP
M

mitsutec30

Have you had the injectors tested?
Does it run a turbo?
Just a few things to check first.
no turbo i have a set of injectors from old eng that ran good block was cracked i think i will switch them befor i tear it back down i got a feeling the base timing on the pump is out just dont want to drain the coolent to reset base timing any info is greatly appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
no turbo i have a set of injectors from old eng that ran good block was cracked i think i will switch them befor i tear it back down i got a feeling the base timing on the pump is out just dont want to drain the coolent to reset base timing any info is greatly appreciated
Can you check the timing without a lot of effort?
I know the Kubota engines had a mark on the front pulley for TC and FI. Line the marks up for FI and with the injector lines off, when you rotate the engine to FI you see fuel build up on one of the delivery valves on the pump. Hopefully yours is as easy as that to check....
If the timing was really far out, i'd suspect it wouldn't even start. I'd look at the simple things first, then move along the line.
With the old injectors, make sure they aren't stuck. You hopefully can hook them up to the pump and spin the engine over and get them to spray. When i have 'old' injectors that haven't been used in a while i pull them down and clean them (kero and compressed air). I then test them by hooking them to the pump and getting them to spray fuel to check they aren't leaking and have a good spray pattern.
Good luck, i hope its simply an injector issue.