Case 1845c Alternator Pulley

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

WildBill

I'm replacing the alternator on my 1845c and of course, the new alternator didn't come with a new pulley. How do I get the old one off? It looks like a split collar type similar to what might be on an air compressor shaft.

foton

I think most I have seen use a keyway and a tapered shaft. I take the nut off and use a gear puller and apply pressure to the pulley then strike the bolt on the puller it should pop off ,if it what I think. Also look at the end of the alt. shaft does it got a center that is tapered hole that would be for the puller kinda conferming what I am thinking.

OP
OP
W

WildBill

I didn't have a puller that worked so I took it to a small local shop and paid $10 to get it pulled. Yes, there is a tapered center insert in the pulley that tightens when the nut is tightened on the shaft. The shaft is straight, not tapered and there's no keyway. The guy at the shop used a small 3 jaw puller and grabbed the pulley on the far outer end. I'd been soaking it with Kroil for a couple days, which might have helped, but he said it wasn't too difficult to get off. There is a hole in the center of the shaft but it looks like it's made for a hex key.

OP
OP
W

WildBill

Correction: there is a keyway in the old alternator shaft, but not in the pulley and no key is used. The tapered center in the pulley clamps the alternator shaft when the nut is tightened.

Latest posts