Case 1840 chain case cracks.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grower

Hello again. I see the aforementioned model (which I just bought 2nd hand) has a habit of cracking around the lower chain casing, in this case its 'only' the rear axles. Whats the best way to fix this? I am going to take it to an engineer in town and see if he can make a plate up which can be welded onto the underside of the chassis and bent (correctly bent in a press) at 90 degrees up and around the axle housing. Has anyone got a better idea?

Tazza

Staff member
I think that may be a decent idea, anything to take the load off the mounting points of the axle would assist with it not cracking again.
How well were the previous cracks repaired? if they weren't done right, they will do it again.

OP
OP
G

Grower

I think that may be a decent idea, anything to take the load off the mounting points of the axle would assist with it not cracking again.
How well were the previous cracks repaired? if they weren't done right, they will do it again.
Hello there Tazza. They were not properly welded at all, just bits of scrap metal have been used, real dissapointing to see when it arrived. (It came from a scrap metal yard.) However Im just home from town and an engineering firm is going to fix it properly, they will be here today or tomorrow to pick it up and yes they are going to do the job right this time by using plate steel.

Tazza

Staff member
Hello there Tazza. They were not properly welded at all, just bits of scrap metal have been used, real dissapointing to see when it arrived. (It came from a scrap metal yard.) However Im just home from town and an engineering firm is going to fix it properly, they will be here today or tomorrow to pick it up and yes they are going to do the job right this time by using plate steel.
Glad they are going to do it right.
If it was from a scrap yard, they may have used solid tyres, these put a lot of strain on the bearings and probably the frame where the axle tubes go in. As there is no cushioning like there is on 'real' tyres. Hopefully this fix will make sure it never happens again.

OP
OP
G

Grower

Glad they are going to do it right.
If it was from a scrap yard, they may have used solid tyres, these put a lot of strain on the bearings and probably the frame where the axle tubes go in. As there is no cushioning like there is on 'real' tyres. Hopefully this fix will make sure it never happens again.
Yea they picked her up this morning to repair it, they are a good engineering company and I know they will do a great job. Being from a scrap metal yard its done alot of work on concrete, I think this would have have been adding to the strain over time too. We will be working on ground here. We will get her sorted out :)

Tazza

Staff member
Yea they picked her up this morning to repair it, they are a good engineering company and I know they will do a great job. Being from a scrap metal yard its done alot of work on concrete, I think this would have have been adding to the strain over time too. We will be working on ground here. We will get her sorted out :)
I hope you got a few before piccies, you can then show off the work that has been done when you get it back running better than ever