Case 1835C SkidSteer Uniloader Engine Stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jdubya

I have a Case 1835C Uniloader Skidsteer with the 3 cylinder Continental diesel and the engine is stuck after sitting up for 2 years. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to turn over? The fully charged battery won't turn it. Is there a way to turn it mechanically to break it free? Any help would be appreciated. JW

jerry

If you can get access to the engine pulley and put a socket w/ breaker bar on it. Don't use excessive force but try to rock it both ways. I have had luck with automatic trans fluid poured in the cylinders for a penetrating oil when doing this. Of course you would have to remove either glowplug or injectors to do so. Take your time with it so you don't damage a piston ring , it may take a few days.

OP
OP
J

jdubya

If you can get access to the engine pulley and put a socket w/ breaker bar on it. Don't use excessive force but try to rock it both ways. I have had luck with automatic trans fluid poured in the cylinders for a penetrating oil when doing this. Of course you would have to remove either glowplug or injectors to do so. Take your time with it so you don't damage a piston ring , it may take a few days.
Thanks Jerry! Sounds like good advice. I hadn't thought about pulling glow plugs or injectors out. I guess I would need to pour about a 1/2 pint of fluid in each hole so it will saturate and go all around the piston.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Jerry! Sounds like good advice. I hadn't thought about pulling glow plugs or injectors out. I guess I would need to pour about a 1/2 pint of fluid in each hole so it will saturate and go all around the piston.
If it's locked up solid, there is a good chance your rings are stuck too. I wish you luck with it running right after you get it moving, but i for one would like to pull the pistons out, give it a flex hone and the very least, free the rings up, if not replacing them.
You will know when you get it moving and started. I have read that people have used ATF and let it sit to free stuck rings.

OP
OP
J

jdubya

If it's locked up solid, there is a good chance your rings are stuck too. I wish you luck with it running right after you get it moving, but i for one would like to pull the pistons out, give it a flex hone and the very least, free the rings up, if not replacing them.
You will know when you get it moving and started. I have read that people have used ATF and let it sit to free stuck rings.
Thanks for your input Tazza. Yeah... I plan on trying to free it up and see if it will run before we go tearing it down. Yeah another person said he used ATF too to free it up. I am no mechanic so I will have find a good diesel mechanic to do serious stuff like that. I had an old Farmall tractor that set up and stuck. I pulled it off on pavement and kept popping the clutch and sliding the back tires but it freed up and is still running good. It was gas though. I would think diesel would be easier to free up since everything inside and out of a diesel engine has all that oily film. LOL! I'll give her a try as soon as my helper gets a day off. I am an older guy and will need a little help with the blasted thing. Wish me luck.. : )

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your input Tazza. Yeah... I plan on trying to free it up and see if it will run before we go tearing it down. Yeah another person said he used ATF too to free it up. I am no mechanic so I will have find a good diesel mechanic to do serious stuff like that. I had an old Farmall tractor that set up and stuck. I pulled it off on pavement and kept popping the clutch and sliding the back tires but it freed up and is still running good. It was gas though. I would think diesel would be easier to free up since everything inside and out of a diesel engine has all that oily film. LOL! I'll give her a try as soon as my helper gets a day off. I am an older guy and will need a little help with the blasted thing. Wish me luck.. : )
The ATF trick is to remove a glow plug or injector and squirt some ATF straight into the cylinders. You can use a fair bit of oil here, but as long as when you get it moving, you crank it over without the plugs or injectors to get rid of excess ATF.
Let it sit and then you can use a breaker bar and try and get it to spin. WIth a skid steer, you can't just pop the clutch to get it to turn though.
Hopefully your buddy can steer your in the right direction. Get it turning then ensure the injectors are not stuck and go from there.

Gearclash

The ATF trick is to remove a glow plug or injector and squirt some ATF straight into the cylinders. You can use a fair bit of oil here, but as long as when you get it moving, you crank it over without the plugs or injectors to get rid of excess ATF.
Let it sit and then you can use a breaker bar and try and get it to spin. WIth a skid steer, you can't just pop the clutch to get it to turn though.
Hopefully your buddy can steer your in the right direction. Get it turning then ensure the injectors are not stuck and go from there.
From what I've seen of stuck engines, I wouldn't even bother trying to get the engine loose until the head is off. If there is corrosion of the rings or bores you will do more damage by running the engine.

OP
OP
J

jdubya

From what I've seen of stuck engines, I wouldn't even bother trying to get the engine loose until the head is off. If there is corrosion of the rings or bores you will do more damage by running the engine.
Thanks Gearclash, Maybe I need to be finding a diesel mechanic. I definitely don't want to damage a good engine. I never thought that a diesel with all the oily film inside would corrode or lock up. What would you do when the head is off? Saturate it with fluid? Thanks again, jdubya

OP
OP
J

jdubya

Thanks for your input Tazza.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for your input Tazza.
Diesel will leave slight amounts of oil in the cylinders, but remember when it was running it burns almost all the fuel, so there really isn't a nice coat on the cylinder walls to protect it. If moisture got in, it can rust a little.
If it was me, i'd pull the head too. With the head off, you can use oil/atf, remove the con rod bolts and knock the pistons out if there is no obvious rust in the cylinders.
Another way is to remove the injectors and try and get a bore camera, if you can get one into the cylinders, you can look for obvious rust.
Just how hard have you tried turnng the engine over? Ensure the engine is not being locked up due to the hydraulics/hydrostatics holding it.