Can you cut a piece out of the frame sidewall?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmb7684

My 763 has been laid up for a little while because the spool valves started to leak. Well I didnt want to pull the valve off the so I was trying to just remove the allen screws from each valve. Anyone who has done this while the valve was still on the machine can relate to my struggle to get to the allen screws that are on the side that mounts to the sidewall of the frame. I got them all out except one that actually stripped out as I was trying to remove it. So now since I cannot get anything on the allen screw itself to attempt to back it out I'm stuck with trying to either remove the valve which I would like to avoid or I can take a grinder and cutting blade and cut a small square out from the outside of the machine to get a small pair of vice grips on that allen screw.
If I do this will it hurt the integrity of the frame or is it no big deal? If it is no big deal should I just place a steel patch over it so I can easily get to it next time or should I weld it back to give it some strength back. The square I would cut would by 3" x 3" maybe.

[email protected]

i have seen guys cut holes in the side of the machine to grease u joint and stuff....but i really don't know if it's gonna hurt anything or not

Tazza

Staff member
i have seen guys cut holes in the side of the machine to grease u joint and stuff....but i really don't know if it's gonna hurt anything or not
That won't mess with it's strength. There is heaps of metal there, a small hole won't worry it.

Impact-vector

That won't mess with it's strength. There is heaps of metal there, a small hole won't worry it.
Just dont cut where pieces change planes. IE dont cut a corner or a bend if you can help it. Those absorb more force and would be more likely to crack. That said. Try round the corners when cutting so drill 4 1/2" holes and then cut between them. Dont drill 1 hole and cut to sharp corners finally Yes. I would make plates and bolt it over. No point in welding it back unless its in a corner.